Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Triangle of velocies

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot created the topic: Triangle of velocies

Having a look at Q23 on page 3.24 of the Nav. book, I can't seem to figure out why a) is the correct answer?
As far as I can tell, b) looks correct too and is similar to the worked exercise on page 3.5.

Answer c) and d) are quite clear as the wind is blowing to an air vector which is incorrect.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Triangle of velocies

The ground vector combines everything that is related to the ground. The track [double arrow] is the direction of a line over the ground and the ground speed is the speed across the ground. The air vector combines everything that is related to the air. The heading is the direction the aircraft is pointing in the air [single arrow] and the TAS is the speed of the aircraft through the air. See answer (a).

Answer (b) relates the track with the TAS and the heading with the ground speed. That is not correct.

Bob

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot replied the topic: Triangle of velocies

Thank you Bob.

I had a look at the diagrams again and diagram is indeed marked with incorrect 'arrow heads' for TAS and ground speed.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds