Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Online practice exam

• Shiellsy
  • Topic Author

Shiellsy created the topic: Online practice exam

G'day Bob,

I purchased the BT online exam prep last week, I noted that all four of my practice exams consisted of only 21-22 questions. This is what I was expecting entering into the exam this morning. I was pretty surprised when my cyber exam loaded at ASL this morning with closer to 35 questions!

I used the Prac exams during performance to work out what rate of effort would get me through the exam safely and it worked a treat - so that was my plan for NAV...

Is 22 questions per exam a standard for NAV exam prep or an error?? If it's standard, it might be worth letting students know that the amount of questions is not indicative of the actual exam, because you can imagine what happened to the old heart rate when I opened the exam!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Online practice exam

Shiellsy

Thanks for the feed-back. We have never had any indication from anyone before concerning the number of questions in the NAV exam. I'm doing a NAV course at the moment and the class is sitting the exam next Tuesday. I'll ask them to give me some feed-back on the number of questions. By the way, you didn't indicate whether or not you passed the exam.

Bob

• Shiellsy
  • Topic Author

Shiellsy replied the topic: Online practice exam

Made a few really silly mistakes early on - which I managed to pick up on a recheck. There were a couple of pretty tricky questions, below is an outline of what I can remember of the exam to help your students before the sit their exam on Tuesday (if I have included too much detail feel free to moderate):

- What is the line called that connects points with zero magnetic variation?

- Gave me two points on the same PARALLEL and asked how far away they were. They gave a figure and asked if the distance was equal to, greater than or the same as that figure. (The figure they gave was exactly how far the two would have been if the were on the same MERIDIAN. Fell for it initially but I plotted 60 minutes of longitude against 60 minutes of latitude and it was smaller - then I plotted the two figures on the map on the front cover of the ERC (the points were about 800nm apart located north of Cairns!) to confirm was slightly less!

- Gave me the BOD of a location in LMT on a date and asked what the LMT would be at destination when it was BOD at the departure. They were on the same meridian - so the answer was the same. (The question had a lot of superfluous info and took me a while to realise that BOD at the destination had nothing to do with it!)

- What direction and speed does the earth rotate if you look up from under the South Pole?

-There were 10 or so 1:60s,

- Two questions on tailwind and crosswind component,

- Private and Charter fuel planning,

- Map symbology,

- Who you cancel SARTIME with at a particular CTAF,

- 4 vertical NAV questions,

- Asked what wx forecasts I need for a flight between two airfields.

- Errors on NDB VOR

- ERSA rated coverage of NDB.

- Fixed card ADF given heading and track asking for what the ADF would display...(I confirmed my answer by reverse engineering the given answers using H + A = T)

I enjoyed the performance exam more than Nav!! However according to my KDR I have zero knowledge deficiencies in NAV! So after the initial shock it all worked out!

CHUF and AHUF next Friday - busy week ahead!

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Online practice exam

"zero knowledge deficiencies in NAV" - I guess that means you hit the magic 100% - Congratulations! It doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks for the exam debrief too. It included just the right amount of detail on topics covered without giving the game away.

Cheers,

Rich

• Shiellsy
  • Topic Author

Shiellsy replied the topic: Online practice exam

Thanks Rich,

Yep, Im on a "hundred hat trick!" Hopefully the "TEM gods" will be with me on Friday! :unsure:

The books have been spot on mate you guys really provide a great product.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds