Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Combining radio navigation with the 1 in 60 rule

• pauls
  • Topic Author

pauls created the topic: Combining radio navigation with the 1 in 60 rule

On page 5.30, example 1, the question asks how to find the distance off track using an NDB, I have tried to understand and work it out my self but I just cannot find an exercise in the workbook to show me how to work out the distance off track using the 1 in 60 rule., I am really struggling with this subject trying to remember all of the formulas. In all of the exercises and examples the distance is given or it is gained from measuring off of the maps, how do I work it out only knowing the angle and the distance to the station?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Combining radio navigation with the 1 in 60 rule

If you use the computer to solve a 1 in 60 problem, you place the distance off track [d] over the distance flown [D] and you read the track error angle against the 60 on the inside scale. So if you know the angle and the distance flown, you can find the distance off track by placing the track error angle against 60 on the inside scale, and reading [d] on the outside scale against {D] on the inside scale.

In the example below, [d] is 7 and [D] is 35 and the angle is 12°.
So. if you know the angle and [D], you can put the 60 on the inside scale against 12 and against 35 on the inside scale, read 7 on the outside scale.

If you use the formula for 1 in 60, then since angle = 60 x [d] ÷ [D] then [d] = angle ÷ 60 x 35
So, in the example above, [d] = 12 ÷ 60 x 35 = 7
Attachments:

• pauls
  • Topic Author

pauls replied the topic: Re: Combining radio navigation with the 1 in 60 rule

Thanks Bob, It realy is that simple, I have gotten use to doing it on a calculator and did not think to do the problem on a flight computer, this subject is stressing me out, I only have three more to go and my cut off time is the end of Feb 2013. I have been on this subject for 3 months and I am finding that I am not remembering what I have learnt.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Combining radio navigation with the 1 in 60 rule

Don't stress too much about this type of problem. The CPL Nav exam doesn't go too deeply into radio nav aid questions. In fact that questions is a little beyond what the examiner is likely to ask in this area. It is enough if you are able to use the HAT trick to establish what your present track to or from the station is. Also make sure you know the errors and limitations of the ADF/NDB and VOR.

Keep you chin up mate, and let us know how you go.

Cheers

Bob

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds