Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Question about the QNH and QFE

• Unusualattitude
  • Topic Author

Unusualattitude created the topic: Question about the QNH and QFE

Hi all,
I got stuck on one of the questions regarding altimeter setting. I solved the question already and I just want to confirm that I did it correctly. Here is the question: prior to descend you incorrectly set the altimeter subscale to 1002 hpa when the actual QNH is 1020 hpa. If destination is 860 ft. The reading of the altimeter on the ground at the destination will be?
Here is how I did it. 1020-1002 = 18 and 18*30 = 540 and 860-540 = 320.
I followed tis rule. When low to high, the altimeter will underread
Also, if i don't know the QNH at the departure aerodrome, can I set the altimeter to read the airfield elevation?
Would the altimeter read zero if I set the QFE
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Question about the QNH and QFE

There are a few old memory aids for altimeter - some going back to the second world war. "HIGH TO LOW LOOK OUT BELOW" was a reminder that if you are flying towards a low pressure area with a constant sub-scale setting, you altimeter will tell you that you are higher than you actually are.

Also "WIND ON PRESSURE WIND ON HEIGHT" is a reminder that if you set a higher subscale reading, your altimeter mainscale reading will increase and v.v.

Your calculation is correct. With 1002 set your altimeter would underread by 540 feet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds