Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Vor query

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

danparker86 created the topic: Vor query

Hi all,

Just a quick question on vor nav

I had a question regarding what indications should be in passing over a vor I picked that the ident for the station will stop briefly then continue I got it wrong does anyone know what the correct indication should be when passing a vor?

Thanks

-Dan Parker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Vor query

The indication of station passage for a VOR is the flag changing from 'TO' to 'FROM' This is often accompanied by the CDI rapidly oscillating from side to side. However the only reliable conformation of station passage is the flag changing from 'TO' to 'FROM'.

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

danparker86 replied the topic: Re: Vor query

Thanks bob,

I have heard the term "cone of silence" in my studies which is where the ident ceases when passing a station is this true? Or is this a myth? Just curious :)

Thanks

-Dan Parker

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Vor query

There is a 'cone' above the transmitter where no useful signal exists. However, if you overfly the station at low level you will not take long to transit that area [just a few seconds]. At high level - say 20000ft, it may take quite a bit longer. In any case, a temporary loss of a signal is not considered an unambiguous indication of station passage because it could be caused by other interference.

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

danparker86 replied the topic: Re: Vor query

Thanks bob I appreciate your wisdom.

I have the exam tomorrow so here's hoping I'll pull through this time!

Cheers

-Dan Parker

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds