Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Failed nav questions

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

danparker86 created the topic: Failed nav questions

Hi guys,

Here are some of the questions I struggled with on my nav test perhaps someone could enlighten me?

1. You are flying on a HDG of 140M your FPT is 135M what ADF indication would confirm you are on the correct HDG?

2. If you travel from 35S 128E to 35S 133E what would be happening to your TRK?

3.what would be the correct frequency to cancel your Sarwatch (I can't remember the airfield here but I'd like to know where to find the correct frequency)

I can't seem to recall the details of the other questions which is a shame because I really could have used the insight

My KDR's are related to

Lat and long distance direction x 2
Great an small circles rhumb lines
True magnetic north
Lat and long time differences
Select appropriate radio frequencies
Fuel calculations
ADF tracking indications
Calculate beginning and end of daylight
Calculate drift
Calculate ROC for required clearance
Calculate alteration of HDG x2

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys

Cheers

-Dan Parker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Failed nav questions

Hi Dan,

I'll quickly touch on a couple of your queries that jump out at me.

Concerning the ADF tracking indications, I got that one wrong too.

Let's say you are flying HDG 140 and tracking to an NDB station (assuming you're allowing for 5deg left drift and it's a fixed card) the ADF should indicate 355. From a station would indicate 175.

Cancelling SARWATCH would generally be done on a ML/BN Centre frequency, if the options were a CTAF, tower, centre or ground freq, take the centre freq.

Hope that helps a bit,

Mike

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

danparker86 replied the topic: Re: Failed nav questions

Hi mate,

Thanks for enlightening me on those, Its interesting I picked the centre frequency and still got it wrong.... Must have missed something.

Thanks mate all the help is very much appreciated!

Cheers

-Dan Parker

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Failed nav questions

Ah OK.. maybe I'm missing something then. With the ADF Indications, the most obvious if often the wrong one, I immediately went for what the needle would indicate as if it were a rotatable card and I became unstuck.

Maybe another forumer can shed some light on the sarwatch one. If you had all the frequencies as presented in the exam it would be easier to pick the wrong one of course.. Good luck for next time!

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Failed nav questions

A question like this often picks a CTAF where VHF is not available on the ground [see ERSA or the absence of the lightning bolt symbol in the ERC]. Since the question states that you have landed and none of the choices gives a phone number, you would have to realise that you would need to contact flight watch on HF. Check the HF frequencies on the PCA chart. If any of those are given, that would be the answer.

On the other hand, if VHF is available on the ground [see ERSA], the ATS [centre] would be the one to use.

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

Hi Bob,

That makes perfect sense to me now thanks alot for taking the time to educate me on that :)

Cheers

-Dan parker

• Steve M

Steve M replied the topic: Re: Failed nav questions

Now that I've gone through the trouble of creating an account I can reply.....

Did the CPL Nav exam yesterday, without success........

I do remember the question about cancelling SARWATCH. I think what they were looking at was comms on the ground. From memory I think the place was Inverell NSW. They wanted to know how you would cancel comms on the ground. Looking up ERSA told me that Brisbane Centre was only available in the circuit area at that location. That left HF. Looked up the PCA chart from the Flight Watch HF Frequency for that area and found one that matched the HF frequency in the question.

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

Hi,

Mate I'm very sorry to hear you failed I feel your pain on that one.

Yes it was inverell I remember now, that question got me. The exam was full of questions I was totally not expecting at all and I spent alot of time going through the book focusing on things I thought I'd find in the exam and found nothing on them at all really.

I hope you pass when you sit it again.

I'm due to sit again Tuesday so I'm with you on the second attempt now here's hoping we pass on the second try.

Good luck mate

-Dan Parker

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds