Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Exam Question!

• Mickyd86
  • Topic Author

Mickyd86 created the topic: Exam Question!

Hi all,

Just at the point of doing as many practise questions before sitting my last CPL exam (NAV)tomorrow. Came across this curly question in one of the online exams. The question read as follows:-

"Refer Fig 28 on page 35 of VFR Day Work Booklet.

This reprsents CTA steps centred on A. The aeroplane is a 4,500AMSL. Climbing = 120kt.

If Controlled Airspace protection is desired, the minimum constant Rate Of Climb (to the nearest 100FPM) for a continuous climb on track from X to A090 i?:-

-600FPM
-100FPM
-400FPM
-200FPM "

Firstly... I turned to my day VFR Booklet that I had used for pevious on line exams and found that Fig 28 on page 35 didn't make sense to what the question asked! Fig 28 displayed an 'X' on the track but inside the control step LL4000 20nm from A. The control steps advanced to LL6000 30nm from A and then at 50nm from A it steps upt to LL8000.
This would already put the a/c inside CTA! (The control steps don't go any furter than LL8000)

I was pulling my hair out trying to think of any other ways to work around this question while the time ticked down, but couldn't think of any!!! Would this be a typo, or has anybody else had the same issue?!

The next question is in relation to "Controlled Airspace Protection." Is this in relation to planning the a/c to be an extra distance away from CTA dependant on your FL or Altitude as listed in the AIP, and if so, how would I put that into practise in a question like this??? Both this and the previous question confused me a lot!!!

Thanks in advance!

Mick

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Exam Question!

See attached graphic.

The key to the question is to convert the plan view diagram given to an elevation view. The aircraft is at 4500ft at X and is already in CTA. The pilot wishes to remain in CTA. Remember that if you operate at the lower limit of CTA you are not counted as being in CTA and therefore cannot expect the protection offered by CTA. You should remain not less than 500ft above the lower limit to avail yourself of the protection of CTA.

The next point is that 9000ft has got nothing to do with the problem. The critical step is the 30nm step from LL4000 to LL6000. If you pass the 30nm step at or above 6500 ft, you will be remaining in CTA.

So you must gain 2000ft [from 4500 to 6500] in the next 10nm at 120 kt. That's 2000 ft in 5 mins = 400 ft/min.
Attachments:

• Mickyd86
  • Topic Author

Mickyd86 replied the topic: Re: Exam Question!

Thanks for that Bob!

Makes more sense now!!!

Just finished the last of the on-line exams for Nav before the big day tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers Mick

:)

• Mickyd86
  • Topic Author

Mickyd86 replied the topic: Re: Exam Question!

Hi all!

I am VERY happy to say I passed my last CPL exam today with a 93% for Navigation!!! Although I was hoping for maybe a little more, I am very proud of myself having achieved some pretty good marks in all my subjects, after battling the study at home! :)
I would really like to send out a BIG thankyou to Bob, Richard and anybody else who has helped answer my sometimes silly questons throughout my CPL Theory journey! It has been a memorable one :)

Now to move onto IREX!!! :ohmy: I will definately be posting more while I study for this one! haha!!!

Cheers!

Mick :)

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Exam Question!

WOW! That's a great mark Mick. Well done. Good luck for the IREX...

Bob

• Shaun Watkin

Shaun Watkin replied the topic: Re: Exam Question!

Mick Hi, congrats on the mark - solid result. Onwards & Upwards...

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Exam Question!

Congratulations Mick, great result. I'm really pleased we could help :-) Good luck with IREX. IFR is a whole new ball game and wonderfully rewarding. You'll love it!

Cheers,

Rich

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Congratulations

Hi Mick. Guess you can now find Bairnsdale from Sale hey? Kidding of course; well done on a great mark.

Now back from Queensland.

I am now into Met then will do Nav after that. Good luck with IREX, it is not as hard as Perf but it is quite demanding. If you need help just let us know.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds