Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

1 in 60

• Stephen
  • Topic Author

Stephen created the topic: 1 in 60

Hi,

Not sure if i am doing wrong or what, hope you can help.

In the current issue Navigation book(may 2009) i am trying to get through the 1 in 60 exercises from the WAC on page 4.39

Basically the coordinates given in the questions and the landmarks on the map do not match up, somtime by a significant number of mile which puts out the answer you get for all the 1 in 60 calculations.

For instance the last example (silo 1nm east.. tracking to Invernell)Invernell is given as 2935S 15108E which i make out to be about 11nm from the invernell. When i calculate the answer using the coordinates given i cannot get the same answer as you give in the book, the distance off track.. become so differnt from yours it changes all the calculations.

So which am i suppose to use? are the coordinates just a guide to help find the visual point on the chart or am i missing something else that is messing with my answers?!

Dont you just love self study :(

Thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: 1 in 60

Stephen

It was never intended that you use the co-ordinates to solve the problem, just as you wouldn't [couldn't] do in practice in the cockpit. The co-ordinates were given simply to assist people with no local knowledge to locate the feature described. Use the feature as you would in practice. Good luck with your studies.

Bob

• Stephen
  • Topic Author

Stephen replied the topic: Re: 1 in 60

Thanks for the help Bob,

When you put it like that it makes total sense! I guess i am starting to get a little stressed out getting so close to my exam :-)

Will the CASA exam give the same coordinate help for those of us with no local knowledge or do i need to spend some more time getting to know the locations on my charts?

Stephen

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: 1 in 60

The CASA exam may give coordinates but if not it will give a detailed description of where to look. e.g. 'over 'Hill End', a small town 4nm right of the flight planned track and 25nm from Bathurst.

Don't let it stress you out mate, most people who have worked through the book find that the CASA exam is pretty plain sailing. Let us know how you go.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds