Header1200x385

× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Checking Forecast for alternate minima

• Thank you received: 0

Stewart created the topic: Checking Forecast for alternate minima

Hello,

Could I please get clarification on what products we should use for checking weather at an aerodrome we are travelling to. (In regard to the MET exam and in real world operations).

Do we only look at TAF's and TAF3's when checking for VMC conditions/if we require an alternate or holding fuel?

or

Should we look at the METAR instead of the TAF if a question suggests we are landing at a time shortly after the current METAR?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 143

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Checking Forecast for alternate minima

G'day Stewart

I suggest your have a read of AIP ENR 1.1 para 10.7 and para 10.7.2 that should give you a solid understanding of what required.

Cheers

Stewart replied the topic: Checking Forecast for alternate minima

Hello Stuart,

I have looked through the AIP. I cant actually find any information on what specifically you can and cannot use to obtain the information about the weather at the aerodrome you are going to.

I have a feeling the information I have been given has being confused with previous TTF's and need to find a clear answer.

Regards

• Thank you received: 143

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Checking Forecast for alternate minima

Attachments:

Stewart replied the topic: Checking Forecast for alternate minima

Hello Stuart,

Ok, thank you. So would I be correct in saying that even on a short flight, a METAR does not meet these requirements due to it being a report, not a forecast, and that it does not have a validity period? (confirming that we do not use it for the first 3 hours like the previous TTF?)

Regards

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds