Header1200x385

× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Question about SALR

• Thank you received: 0

PilotAnton created the topic: Question about SALR

Hello everyone,

currently studying ATPL meteorology and was wondering about the following phenomenon:
As air is becoming saturated and continues to rise, heat through condensation is being released, I understand that.
However as saturated air starts descending (foehn effect f.e. - air is moving upslope a mountain and then coming back down the leeward side) it maintains the same SALR until RH falls under 100% and then DALR takes over.

When already saturated air descends doesn't the vapor rather evaporate which is more likely to absorb latent heat rather than still emit ?

I don't exactly understand this so if anyone could further clarify this circumstance I would be very grateful !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 259

bobtait replied the topic: Question about SALR

The cloud base on the windward side of the range is lower than the cloud base on the lee side. So more latent heat is released during the process of cloud formation on the windward side. The air beneath the cloud base on the lee side then suffers a longer period of adiabatic compression during its descent. It becomes both warmer and drier than the air on the windward side.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds