Header1200x385

× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passing the CPL Meteorology Exam

• Thank you received: 2

Alex created the topic: Passing the CPL Meteorology Exam

On first view of grasping the concept of Meteorology, it took me a while to absorb all the content and before I knew I managed to achieve 85% on my exam. Not the best score, but was definitely happy for it to be tucked into bed for a while before I soon start ATPL while I'm working doing charter ops.

I'm not here to "show off" or make anyone feel down about the subject but try help those using the experience I have had completing CASA exams in the past. Aviation is the common ground of where we share similar interests and thus, we are all in this together. I've seen a lot of people doubt themselves about the exams on this forum and I'd hate to see people leave their passion because they feel like the exams are a roadblock, where in reality, they're little hurdles which we are jumping over to reach the finish line.

Without further ado, these are the study preps I took to approach this subject:
1. As always, what I do to find things easier to remember is to always write them down *physically*

2. Furthermore, once you have done your study for the day -> revise over the content and research what you need clarification for if you still don't understand it, never leave it to when you revise! You'll find most things in the Bob Tait books.

3. READ BOB TAIT BOOKS This definitely crucial and will find majority of the answers you are looking for. Definitely knowing this book back to front will put you ahead of the exam.

4. Read your notes aloud to yourself as if you were teaching yourself. If you have someone that wants to tune in, harass them and teach them some MET. Before you know it, they'll be letting you know what type of clouds are in the sky and the stability of the atmosphere.. they tend to forget about conditional stability, they should probably read some Bob Tait MET ;)

5. Invest in Bob Tait Exams, these were definitely an advantage and exposes you to the 'typical' CASA-like questions so after doing a couple of these it will make the actual exam feel like another practice exam and it will definitely loosen the mental tension you've had over the past week. These definitely help you apply this in an operational manner and help you see how CASA may mislead you into thinking the question must be asking something else, which all the exams consist of. Make sure you study GAFS, TAFS, GPWT, METAR, SPECI, INTER, PROB, BECMG, FM -> these are all operational, you need to know these back to front as they'll be on the exam.

6. TAKE YOUR BREAKS! These are important, cramming knowledge does not help at all and will do little to no benefit you when absorbing the content. Take a break and make sure you leave your study area and move around. I was never a walker, but I found that going for quick 20-30 min walks cleared my mind. They do wonders, definitely try it out.

6. You want to be ready during the final days leading up to the exam. Relax, get up early, have a coffee if you are a coffee drinker, or enjoy something refreshing and do some practice tests. Only do these once you have understood the topic as they have little to no use when you do not understand the subject itself. Use these as a resource to apply your knowledge!

7. Enter the exam with a clear mind. Now's not the time to be trying to absorb every little content you think you might've missed. For me personally that did not work. Always come in with a clear mind, greet the invigilator, sit in your seat and lock in as soon as it starts.

8. Read all questions twice!! This is definitely important for all exams and you'll realise this when you do more exams in the future. CASA love to mislead us by giving us "too much" information. Decode it and rewrite it if you feel like you need to on the scribble pad they give you.

I personally found meteorology and human factors the hardest as they are theory based as I am more a practical person, and things make sense if I see numbers where I am able to follow the process and do the working myself, rather than having to memorise content.

Passing these exams came with discipline and routine. If you ever feel like you are over worked, go for a nice 30 min walk. It is very important to take your breaks! I can't stress more on how important these are.

I couldn't have done this without reading and completing the questions within the Bob Tait books. So, thank you Bob Tait if you are reading this, I could never thank you enough for making the subjects make sense to me and I enjoy little remarks you add in the books that give us a little laugh. Without your resources, including the exams, I would've definitely had a tough time passing these exams. You had definitely made these exams a breeze.

For the rest of you aviators, I wish you all the best in your exams and feel free to reply to this post or send me a private message. I'd be able to help you out as much as I can as well as Bob Tait and many others have done so with everyone who has posted any questions on the forums.

Attached are some notes I needed to go over the most when it came to be revising for MET. Feel free to have a read.

✈️✈️ Blue Skies and Tailwinds ✈️✈️

#KeeptheHustleGoing
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stuart Tait, booradley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Passing the CPL Meteorology Exam

G'day Alex

Congratulations on your pass 85% is nothing to be disapointed by, Thanks for your feedback I'm sure it'll help our students

All the best for the future

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds