Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passed CMET today - 82%

• harrykay
  • Topic Author

harrykay created the topic: Passed CMET today - 82%

G'day and Happy New Year and Decade all!

So I just got back after attempting my CMET exam and happy to report I scored 82% - so now that's 4 of them out of the way with 3 left (CNAV, CAGK and CHUF). My question bank consisted of 30 questions with a handful of 2 markers and remainder being 1 mark ea.

I went into this exam with mixed feelings - I didn't exactly study too hard for this due to some family coming over to my place over XMas, but managed to read the text and attempt all questions therein and the practice exams (both online and in-text). Also, this is one of those subjects where you may have an advantage if you have a 'natural' interest in it (say some candidates do well in CADA since they have a natural interest and aptitude with physics). Moreover, this exam maybe easier if you have done reasonable amount of flying as some questions will be a lot easier to understand if you had reasonable experience using weather data during flight-planning for Navs.

These are my tips on how to do well in CMET -

1) Learn Operational Meteorology back to front! BT's book as an entire chapter dedicated to Opr Met and it will be a life-saver in particular when answering the 2 mark questions. Ensure you do enough questions around decoding TAF's, GAF's, GPWT's etc. I had nearly half my exam (I think around 12 questions) based on Opr Met! One way to quickly go through these is to pick and choose the answer from the options based on what the question is actually asking you - it then helps to write down the information provided (e.g. write down the relevant line from the TAF) to ensure you choose the right answer.

2) GIven you're allowed to carry the AIP with you, you can familiarize yourself with GEN 3.5 and reference it to answer any questions around defining Met related terms - e.g. circumstances when you need to submit an AIREP, what's a VOLMET and what are the components of a SIGMET etc.

3) The remaining chapters particularly surrounding winds, inversions, synoptic charts will require a good deal of study. Of course, its best to revise the entire book but the above ensure you will get at least 75% the way.

Now to CNAV on 15/02!

Cheers,
HK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds