Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Query regarding movement of troughs/fronts

• Thank you received: 3

HPOUND created the topic: Query regarding movement of troughs/fronts

Apol for a very simple question.

This query arises from Q9 in practice test 1 of the Met book revised Oct 2015.

The question relates to expected wind at 10,000ft for a (north-south) flight from YSCB to YMER. At 2200, the trough was expected to be very slightly west of the planned route. At 0500, the trough was expected to be well east of the route. The flight was scheduled for around 0300

In a case such as this, do we anticipate the movement of the trough to determine it's likely position at time of flight?. In this case, this would mean winds west of the trough apply? Seems this would be a more sensible approach than assuming the trough moves instantaneously at 0500.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Query regarding movement of troughs/fronts

To clear up any confusion with that question, I have changed the Departure time at Wagga to 0500 and the arrival time at YMER to 0750. That puts you well and truly west of the trough. I've never heard of a CASA question that has you passing through the trough en-route.

• Thank you received: 3

HPOUND replied the topic: Query regarding movement of troughs/fronts

Thank you!

Setting aside the CASA exam challenges, given the facts in the original (pre-edit) question, is it reasonable to anticipate the position of the trough to determine winds? For practical purposes, I would think so. Given a position at 0200 and then at 0500, seems sensible to plan on the trough being roughly half way between at around 0330.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds