Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Outback Weather

• Aaron3
  • Topic Author

Aaron3 created the topic: Outback Weather

Hi Guys,

I'm not too familiar with the wind directions in Australia. So I was researching on the wind directions in the Outbacks and found that the winds are usually from the south eastern quadrant. Can anyone confirm this ?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Outback Weather

It's not as simple as defining a particular wind direction that is typical of the Australian outback. Surface wind direction varies with the seasons and with latitude. While the south-east trade winds tend to prevail over central latitudes throughout much of the year, the surface wind on the east coast is strengthened by the sea breeze on sunny afternoons, while on the west coast, it is opposed by the sea breeze.

During the summer months, far northern Australia is influenced by the equatorial trough producing the north-west monsoon during the mid-summer wet season from November to April, while southern Australia is affected by alternating warm north-westerly to cold south westerly winds ahead of and behind cold fronts during the winter months.

Also it should be remembered that the so called south-east trades are not always south-easterly. They can fluctuate between south-east and north-east and still be part of what we call the south-east trades.

• Aaron3
  • Topic Author

Aaron3 replied the topic: Outback Weather

Thanks Bob, really appreciate the feedback.

• srodneyrahul

srodneyrahul replied the topic: Outback Weather

Hi Guys so i got a question
Question 4.
Outback Australia away from any localized external influences, the wind direction will ?
a. Veer Day , Back Night
b. Back Day, Back Night
c. Veer Day, Veer Night
d. Back Day , Veer Night

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds