Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Slopes and Ranges Area 21

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa created the topic: Slopes and Ranges Area 21

Hi guys,
Had a dig through this section and found another thread on the same topic but I didn't really understand the answer. I'm assuming this will come up in the met exam. Just wondering in the ARFOR for area 21 when asked a question. Hypothetically if you were asked what is the lowest cloud base expected for the YSCB-YMER leg. In the ARFOR it refers to a lower cloud base over the slopes and ranges. Does this cloud only apply to the slopes and ranges to the west of Canberra? Or does it ALSO apply to the great dividing range east of Canberra?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Slopes and Ranges Area 21

Hi Jack,

Since the exams do not expect any local knowledge beyond what can be extracted from the documents and charts, we have simply applied common sense to the terms and interpret "slopes" to refer to the higher country butting up to the Great Dividing Range (or "ranges"). These slopes can be the "eastern slopes" (east of the ranges) or "western slopes" (west of the ranges).

In any case, I think you will find in the exam that the distinction between the two is moot. The question will likely not require an exact interpretation of what constitutes a slope and what constitutes a range.

Good luck with it (if you haven't sat already)! Let us know if it comes up in the exam.

Cheers,

Rich

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa replied the topic: Slopes and Ranges Area 21

Hi Guys,
Sat it and passed with 88%, some really easy basic given 10 marks. The TAFS and ARFORS were long and messy and required a lot of attention to detail as the answers were all pretty close. Area 21 is in my backyard - the only question was on a ARFOR that was used for a flight between Bowral and Canberra asking the lowest cloud base. Was a little tricky but used the cloud base for the ranges and got it right. Cheers for the help guys - books are great! Onto human factors now.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds