Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Forecast Requirements

• Ray
  • Topic Author

Ray created the topic: Forecast Requirements

I'm having a little trouble resolving the requirements for obtaining a forecast - in particular for a TAF. My reading is that AIP ENR 1.10 para 1.2.1 specifies the requirements for obtaining meteorological forecasts for flight planning purposes, and in part reads:

An aerodrome forecast for the destination is also needed and, when required, the alternate aerodrome. For a flight to a destination for which a prescribed instrument approach procedure does not exist, the minimum requirement is an Area Forecast.

Okay, fair enough. But what about our requirements for nominating an alternate? AIP ENR 1.1 para 58.1.3 details the requirement:

When an aerodrome forecast is not available or is "provisional", the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate that has a firm forecast.

So my thinking is that we have a few possible combinations now:
1) Destination has a valid TAF. You have to obtain the destination TAF for flight planning purposes and can use the TAF for arrival without providing for an alternate as long as the TAF is valid and conditions are above minima.
2) Destination has no valid TAF for arrival and no prescribed instrument approach procedure. You have to obtain the Area Forecast for arrival for flight planning purposes, and you must make provision for a suitable alternate that has a valid TAF above minima and is valid for arrival at that alternate.
3) Destination has no valid TAF for arrival but does have a prescribed instrument approach procedure. Okay, clearly you are going to need to make provision for a suitable alternate with a valid TAF above minima for arrival, but how do you satisfy the flight planning requirement??? You can't. So is it okay to plan to a destination without a TAF, carrying a nominated alternate that does have a valid TAF above minima, but only when the original destination has no instrument approach procedure prescribed?? This makes no sense. Is the requirement of AIP ENR 1.10 para 1.2.1 to consider whether there is a prescribed instrument approach procedure an outdated relic that should no longer exist?

Can someone explain where I might have gone wrong in my thinking here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Forecast Requirements

Ray

With regards to item 2) in your post, you may plan to a destination with no instrument approach procedure [and therefore most likely, not TAF] without an alternate providing the Area Forecast indicates no more that 4/8 cloud below LSALT for the last route segment +500 ft and visibility not less than 8 km.AIP ENR 1.1 para 58.3.2

With regards to item 3) in your post, I too have always been mystified by that. The AIP seems to be saying that you can take advantage of 2) above only if the aerodrome you are going to has no instrument approach procedure. If it does have an instrument approach procedure, but no TAF, you need an alternate no matter what the Area Forecast says. I agree that that makes no sense. It seems to be saying that the requirement to provide for an alternate is based on the existence of a piece of paper!

• Ray
  • Topic Author

Ray replied the topic: Forecast Requirements

Thanks Bob. The way I read para 58.3.2 is that it only applies to IFR flights. Doesn't this still leave VFR flights in the wilderness of requiring an alternate if there is no TAF, regardless of whether there is a prescribed instrument approach procedure (ENR 1.1 para 58.1.3)? AND not being able to satisfy the flight planning requirement to obtain a TAF when planning to a destination that does have a prescribed instrument approach procedure but does not have a valid TAF (ENR 1.10 para 1.2.1)?

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds