Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Epic fail

• shawkins
  • Topic Author

shawkins created the topic: Epic fail

Hi guys,

I think I've made a mistake by studying both your text and using the online exams provided by Avfacts/Rob Avery, for my CPL met exam. I assumed doubling up on the 'same' info/concepts would have served me well but I flunked the exam. Have I gone in two different directions here? Have you come across this before? I'm obviously eager to not make the same mistake again come re-examination time.

Thanks.

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Epic fail

Hi Simon. I am sure Bob will get back to you but in the meantime as an 'old boy' who has just completed all the CPL exams and also IREX, I looked at other texts and found Bob's to be the easiest and best by far. I suspect that (like me) you had problems with the TAFs and ARFORS. If this is the case don't feel bad because I found that the ones I got wrong were mainly due to the way CASA worded the questions.

In simple terms, try and look at the these exams as a 'gateway' to your CPL and not the "B all END all". It really doesn't matter what mark you get in these exams if you can pass them. Once you start actual flying you will see it all falls into place VERY easily. And you can always just 'call the met office and talk to someone'. Met was one I thought would be the hardest but in the end I got 85% so if I can do it anyone can.

Take care and keep your chin up.

• shawkins
  • Topic Author

shawkins replied the topic: Re: Epic fail

Hi Brenton

Thanks for that, yes I suspect it does boil down to the operational met material, considering how heavily that section was weighted.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Simon.

• basketball

basketball replied the topic: Re: Epic fail

Yup, agree with Brenton, the ARFOR interpretation got me aswell. It was really confusing trying to figure out exactly what the question was trying to ask and trying to distinguish between the slopes and ranges in their questions!!

• shawkins
  • Topic Author

shawkins replied the topic: Re: Epic fail

Thanks mate

• JJ

JJ replied the topic: Re: Epic fail

Hi Guys,

I had similar experiences to Simon and thought I would share. I studied the Bob Tait textbooks, and after I was feeling happy with most of the concepts (and doing well with the questions in the back of the book) I went and bought a Rob Avery practise exam book from the pilot supply shop(as it was quite cheap). I failed the practice exams misserably and was quite frustrated as I had not seen a lot of the terms and they left me very confused.

So I then purchased some Bob Tait practice exams(worth every cent), and they made a lot of sense and prepared me for the actual met exam, which I sat a few days later and got 100%. I think it's pretty crazy how I went from failing the Rob Avery exams to full marks in the actual exam with in a couple of days.

So to anyone thinking about practice exams I highly recommend Bob's as the questions are written very well and his explanation at the end is what helped me the most, thanks Bob and good luck Simon with the rest of your studies!

Joe.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds