Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Slopes and Ranges for CMET

• 172_Freighter
  • Topic Author

172_Freighter created the topic: Slopes and Ranges for CMET

Not being familiar with Sydney geography, Is there anybody who has a copy of the sydney WAC that can point out the locations of these landmarks?

Is it fair to assume that "Ranges" = the Great dividing range? What about the slopes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mickyd86

Mickyd86 replied the topic: Re: Slopes and Ranges for CMET

Hey mate,
How are you?

I take it this is for CMET???

I came across the same problem when I was studying for it!

The ranges do represent the Great Divide, however the slopes are a tricky one... Don't quote me on it, but I think I was told that ranges v slopes is such a 'fine line' that you can consider them as the same thing. For my exam, the TAF interpreting questions related a lot around Wagga - Canberra - Merimbula.

Hope this helps a little.

Maybe Rich can expand on it in more depth :P

Cheers

Mick

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Slopes and Ranges for CMET

Yes that has always been an issue. The ranges are easy enough. They are the darkest brown tint with the highest spot heights e.g. just west of Canberra. There is no definition of just what is meant by slopes - or western slopes, but it is generally taken as the lighter brown tint to the west of the ranges.

For example if you consider a flight from Wagga to Canberra, the slopes would begin just before Tumut and the ranges would be just before Canberra.

In any case the exam is more likely to ask for the cloud or weather forecast on the entire trip i.e. between Wagga and Canberra, so you would not have to decide where one area ends and another begins as the trip would include all of them. By the way, the format of the CASA ARFORs is way out of date. You will find that current ARFORs use much more plain English.

• basketball

basketball replied the topic: Re: Slopes and Ranges for CMET

Definitely know where the ranges and slopes are guys and girls, i just did my met test today, and a few 2 markers required knowing where the ranges and slopes are in order to be able to answer the questions correctly.

Goodluck!

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds