Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Return to the beginning

• rcubed63
  • Topic Author

rcubed63 created the topic: Return to the beginning

Hi,
I undertook Bob Tait's CPL theory and IREX in 1990. Did really well thanks to Bob's teaching method of engagement, mental imagery and comedy.That was the year Bob had 'accidentally' bought yellow photocopy paper and was damned if he wasn't going to use it! I still have these somewhere.

In the intervening years, I did several years of outback flying, charter work and even skydiving [what was I thinking?]. I moved to Sydney as a flight instructor on a job promise, but it became abundantly clear that age was not on my side. So I got contract work with the national ATC provider whilst trying to secure flying jobs. Even got to do the Lord Howe Island run after the Seaview accident.

At that time I applied for ATC and was accepted, but put on hold due to excessive numbers already training. I also applied to become an Instrument Flight Procedure Designer. Long story short, ATC didn't eventuate and I design Instrument Flight Procedures with a bit of flying on the side. For 5 years I was also the Chief Designer of IFP's for Australia, which then meant I got to represent Oz at the ICAO Instrument Flight Procedure Panel [IFPP]. I have met a lot of really cool and smart people from all over the world.
Now my company assists ICAO contracting states, including Australia, to design and promulgate IFPs and advises developers, airport operators and government organisations to separate 'silver tubes' from the stationary Earth and things stuck to it.

Bob's teaching set me on this path and I am thankful. But what happened to the moustache?

Cheers,
Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Return to the beginning

Gidday Ray,
What a thrill to hear from you after all these years. As you can see, we have finally used up all the yellow paper. It's great to see that you have progressed to an interesting and satisfying career. I'll have to keep you in mind [phone number or e-mail?], because we often have issues with instrument flight procedures in the AIP or DAP and often CASA itself cannot give a clear answer. It would be great to catch up one day if ever the opportunity arises.

I got rid of the mo when a number of my girlfriends took up a petition !!!

Keep having fun.
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds