Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

IREX Here we come!!!

• aljackson
  • Topic Author

aljackson created the topic: IREX Here we come!!!

Greetings one and all!

By advice from a fellow aviation enthusiast who has completed his Instrument rating, I have decided to enter the world of Bob Taits interactive aviation Forum to seek knowledge! Not sure how this thing works but to kick off I thought I could maybe start with who I am and what i'm planning to do (not unlike speaking to ATC!)

I am a new PPL who has just begun my IREX studies and am looking forward to a whole new world of challenges! I'll probably be regretting it in a few months time but at the moment am running on the blissful ignorance that all will be fine.

So if theres anyone else out there that is in the same boat who wants to share a storey or two, please feel free!
I would encourage and appreciate any experience and insight that anyone may have on what to expect, and even some helpful hints on study and the theory exam itself!

Best regards,

AJ
Your fellow aviation junky!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aviatordan

Aviatordan replied the topic: IREX Here we come!!!

G'day AJ,

Welcome to the community! It's always good to hear of new people coming in to the world of aviation and even moreso in to the world of instrument flight. I can definitely say, you won't be regretting it at all.

Tips for IREX:
- I used BTs book including extensive use of the forum. Be comfortable with the material and don't sit the exam until you really feel ready to do so.

Tips for the SE or MECIR / PIFR:
- If you're getting an ME/SECIR ask your testing officer to put you down for a PIFR as well, can come in handy currency wise and doesn't cost anything extra!
- Make sure you choose a school with aids close by. Whilst it is important to understand the procedures involved with cruise flight (there aren't many), the most challenging (read: rewarding) aspect of the training are the instrument approaches. You don't want to be going to a school where the closest NDB is an hours flight away.
- Similarly, you don't necessarily want a school with lots of traffic, especially around the aids. Traffic makes things infinitely harder and when you're learning the foundational skills, it is not necessary.
- What helped me was in the briefings I actually took a GoPro and recorded everything for future reference. I also recorded all the flying for the same reason. Obviously this is dependent on the rules of the school, but it is a great resource.
- Make sure you have everything nutted out in the sim before attempting to take it on in the air (this should be part of the school's competency requirements) as things are a lot different with turbulence, traffic and real IMC thrown in to the mix.

Best of luck, mate. You will love it.

Dan

• aljackson
  • Topic Author

aljackson replied the topic: IREX Here we come!!!

G'day Dan,

Many thanks for the advice mate! I did my first hour in the sim yesterday followed by an hour of night circuits. Certainly a different world isn't it!

• greatwindowsss

greatwindowsss replied the topic: IREX Here we come!!!

hello guys my name mat I've studying from Bob Tait's BAK book.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds