Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hi there

• mal
  • Topic Author

mal created the topic: Hi there

Hi everyone,

I've had an interest in flying since I was a teenager with my first Commodore 64 flight sim (yeah, I know, it wasn't much of a "sim") some 30 years ago or so. When I moved with my family to Canada 3 years ago we lived in an Air Ranch which had a small airport (CFX2 - Okotoks, about 20 minutes south of Calgary with the beautiful Rockies as a backdrop) and given the prices I was finally able to start taking lessons towards my PPL. I managed to clock up just enough hours for the prac test (40 hours for PPL) but when I learned I was moving back to Australia I decided not to sit the test there. So now I'm in the difficult spot of having to budget my flying time in order to polish my training (the cost of living and cost of flying here is so much higher than Canada), so it's a slower process but I'm determined to get there.

It's interesting just seeing first-hand the differences between flying in Brisbane's sea-level, humidity and high temperatures compared with the dry, snow and ice conditions at 3600ft ASL in Okotoks, as well as the differences between northern and southern hemispheres. I have to say that the higher cost of flying here is more than justified with the quality of the aircraft at the RAC - the 172s are beautiful and well-maintained; a dream compared with the quite old trainers we had in Canada.
I found your site, Bob, from the study materials I purchased from Redcliffe Aero Club where I'm now training. Your texts are great and I'll definitely be purchasing your e-texts so I can read the material anywhere, and the practice exams once I'm comfortable I'm ready for the written tests. Here's hoping I can attain my 2015 resolution of completing my PPL!

Cheers,
Mal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Hi there

Gidday Mal and welcome to the forums.
Nice to know that you are 'just up the road', maybe you can find time to drop in sometime for a coffee. The scenery in Canada is truly awe-inspiring and very different to coastal Queensland. It' s good to hear that you're enjoying the study material. Remember that this forum is always available if you have the odd question on the way.

Once again, happy flying and welcome.

Bob

• mal
  • Topic Author

mal replied the topic: Hi there

Thanks Bob, I appreciate this valuable service you offer. A couple of years ago while in Canada I was invited to my daughter's class to teach them about the principles of flight - they were learning Bernoulli's Principles and Newton's Laws in grade 6! Was a tonne of fun.
Once the Minister for Financial Affairs approves some more flying I'll drop by and say hi!
Cheers,
Mal.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds