Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hi, everyone!

• Executive
  • Topic Author

Executive created the topic: Hi, everyone!

My name's John-Paul and, I must admit, I'm a complete novice in the world of aviation.

When I was a naive little kid, it was my dream to one day become a fighter pilot but, being a severe asthmatic, I had to be told (repeatedly) that it just wasn't on the cards. So, I reluctantly abandoned that dream and turned my sights to filmmaking instead.

My passion for aviation has since been re-ignited, albeit in a slightly different form. A couple of years ago, I came across some amazing footage shot via high-end cameras and learned that they were being ferried around by big, expensive-looking multirotors. I knew instantly that that was something I would love to do some day. To combine my passion for filmmaking with that childhood love of flight made perfect sense.

I've since purchased a quadcopter as a simple way to learn how to fly, capture footage, understand frequencies and operate / modify a basic RPA, but my goal is to eventually upgrade to more powerful multirotors that I can use for film projects. Far from being put off by huge learning curve, government regulations, and the current RP Certificate and UOC requirements, I'm actually very excited about the learning process, which is what led me here.

Anyway, I also grew out of the asthma, so I'm even considering the idea of pursuing a Private Pilot's Licence. I figure if I'm going to be learning key elements of the theory to obtain the UOC, I might as well go all the way! I could see it taking many years but, as far as side interests go, I couldn't imagine anything more exciting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Hi, everyone!

Hi Executive - welcome to the forums and into the wonderfully exhilarating and addictive world of flight. Getting your PPL "on the side" is certainly something worth aiming for. Just be careful though. You may find the "taking many years" gets a lot shorter once you get a taste for it ;)

While you're studying, feel free to post any questions here and someone will jump on board and help out.

Cheers,

Rich

• Executive
  • Topic Author

Executive replied the topic: Hi, everyone!

Thanks, Richard!

I must admit, I'm hooked already; it's such a pleasure to be studying a subject that has always fascinated me. If not for some of the other commitments I have at the moment, I'd happily work full-time toward the acquisition of the PPL. Well, to the extent my finances would allow, anyway.

I'm finding it's helpful and a lot of fun to supplement my reading of the Study Guide for BAK with all sorts of online research, YouTube videos, etc., although I will definitely make use of the forums to ask any questions that come to mind.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds