Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

I just want to take great video footage....

• CharlesW
  • Topic Author

CharlesW created the topic: I just want to take great video footage....

Hi everyone,
I started down this road some 12 months ago when I realised that an airborne video camera would be a great adjunct to my terrestrial filming activities. Since then I have built and trailed a number of single and multi-rotor craft before arriving at my current hardware combo.

Now the real challenge... CASA.

I understand the need to regulate the commercial use of UAV's, but think the current regulations are a bit outdated. That said I am embarking down the PPL route to getting my CC (and maybe OC) and have joined Bob's community for some assistance in that endeavour.

So, hello, my name is Charles Wannop, I live in Canberra and I fly a multi-rotor copter fitted with a digital SLR and a brushless gimbal... and I make videos.

Charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: I just want to take great video footage....

Gidday Charles and welcome to the forums. I'm right with you when you say that CASA's ridiculous UAV theory requirements are way off the mark. I feel embarrassed having to cover things like carburettor ice and passenger briefs for intelligent people who just want to operate a flying machine with electric motors!

I sincerely wish there was something I could do about it but it looks like we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future. I have considered getting involved in the process with CASA but quite frankly no one in there has any idea of what needs to be done to produce a meaningful syllabus - perhaps consulting with the industry would be a good start.

In the meantime, you can count on every assistance from us because we are very aware of your plight. We have already had several UAV people attend the full-time PPL theory courses and many others who have used the printed material or e-texts. In every case it has been a pleasure to work with them.

Please keep in touch

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds