Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

G'day - my life story

• pilot1day
  • Topic Author

pilot1day created the topic: G'day - my life story

Hi all,

I'm currently 24 and sitting my ppl theory test on wednesday - wish me luck.

My life story (just the aviation part :)

Jan 2007 I got sick of my IT job and my mate bought be flight sim x for my birthday. Which is what started the whole flying idea. I booked a TIF at sydney flight training centre and began my training casually. Got my first solo at 8 hours, then did training area stuff for the next 10-15. Was going to do my area solo but the instructor never showed up and i was getting tired of his tardyness and the hours id have to wait for a plane because they couldnt organise a root in a brothel.

After that, I stopped flying for around 5-6 months and decided to check out some other schools. I stopped off at Aerospace aviation and was sold by the "amazing package" they had coming out in "2-3 months". I don't know if anyone else here had heard of it, but they were supposed to bring out vet fee help to pay for all pilot fees.

"All you need is a $5000 deposit to get started with the flying and ground training", then fee help will take care of the rest when it comes in". What a good deal! I thought, only having a not-so-great paying IT job at the time. So I resigned my job and began full time flying.

The ground theory was a waste of time. They rushed through the 7 CPL subjects in 10 weeks (mind you, theory was only 2 days a week, 1 day of that was watching you-tube videos of plane crashes and dodgey landings), and we werent given a chance to sit any exams afterwards because none of the class had BAK's yet or 5 solo nav hours.

Flying wise, I was told I could pick up where I left off with SFTC, with a small bit of revision, then do my area solo and gfpt in a month. 12 months, 30 flying hours, and 12 instructors later, I got my GFPT. I'm glad I made the "right" choice in a flying school.

I was reluctant, but decided to start my PPL training 3 or so months after my GFPT. Did about 4 or 5 nav's, then the school says "oh, we aren't getting fee help anymore. You owe us $16,000. How would you like to pay for that?". After numerous arguments and attempts at payment arrangements, it was determined I had to take out a personal loan or get sued. I wish I had of fought for another 3 months, becuase the school went into liquidation and closed down, letting many others in my position off the hook.

"Maybe I'm not meant to be a pilot?" I thought to myself. "Maybe its only for the rich people from the northern beaches." But I decided to push on and get my PPL at least.

Coincidently, I got in contact with an old friend from high school, who inherited a bit of money and decided he wanted a ppl for leisure purposes. He told me about Whitworth aviation and how the school is recognised and recommended from Qantas pilots that his dad knows.

Within a month of starting at Whitworth, I'd done my revision, 2 solo nav's, and PPL pre license. Why did I not check this place out first, I'll never know.

So here I am now, procrastinating from PPL study (I suck badly at MET, which is all thats left). I'll pass Wednesday, book my PPL flight test on Thursday, and have my PPL in just under 4 years with 120 hours.

You may all play your violins now.

But seriously, to those wishing to start up flying ab initio - check out all the schools available to you, if you have trouble with your instructor, speak up and get a new one, NEVER pay for flying lessons in advance or have flying money in a schools account, and its best to save up and do your training in chunks, if you dont have rich parents who will pay for everything. i.e GFPT, PPL, Endorsements, CPL, etc

After I get my PPL, my plans are to complete:

Multi engine, CSU, and retractable endorsement in the schools dutchess
Night VFR
Fly friends around splitting cost until I have enough hours for CPL flight test
CPL exam

</ rant >

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: G'day - my life story

Gi'day Brian

Thanks for sharing the story of your aviation life with us. It certainly is difficult for someone who has had no previous exposure to aviation to zero in on the 'perfect' flying school right away. One thing that becomes obvious from reading your story is that you have made a committment to aviation and you are sticking with it in spite of all the bumps in the road so far.

I'm glad you finally ended up with Bill Whitworth. I've known him and 'of him' for many years and he certainly is good value. Give him my regards when next you see him. He must be nearly as old as I am!! [don't tell him I said that]. All the best with your future study and training - I'm sure you will do well. Thanks again for makin contact through this forum. Please keep in touch and keep us up to date with your progress.

Blue skies and soft landings always..

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds