Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hi all

• argyllss
  • Topic Author

argyllss created the topic: Hi all

Hi everyone.

I have had my PPL for 19 years, and recently recommenced flying after 12 years off with young children. The kids are now old enough to be able to take on trips, and we recently went on a fantastic family trip to Ayers Rock and Lake Eyre in a 182T G1000.

I have now decided to go for the IREX then PIFR to broaden my flying options.
I have nearly finished Bob's great Instrument Rating Study Guide, and hope to sit in October. I hope to make some use of this forum in fine-tuning myself for the IREX.

Cheers
David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Hi all

Gday David,

That G1000 is a piece of work isn't it? I have a nav student who has booked in with our G1000 172. Lucky me =) The 182T would be unreal!

Good luck with your study mate,

Cheers

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Welcome

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

You will find that you'll have access to some very useful resources here. I have now completed IREX, Met, Law, Perf, Aero and am about to sit Nav. HPF and GK are the last ones In will do. In each case there are copious notes that I have posted in these forums whenever I got stuck. The answers from Bob, Richard and other forum members are absolutely priceless and will help you immensely.

A suggestion: just go ahead and get a SE CIR as to do the PIFR will cost the same. Once you have the CIR it is easier to just let it revert to PIFR for the recency requirements. Just a thought.

I too came back to flying later in life and am loving it. Just now getting my twin endorsement. I'll get the CPL out of the way first then complete my IREX.

• argyllss
  • Topic Author

argyllss replied the topic: Re: Welcome

Thanks for the tip Brenton. I have heard that said before that CIR may be better to start then let it revert to PIFR. I am starting to lean that way now, but when I get the IREX under my belt, I can keep my options open.

I was curious however when I read one post on this forum commenting that someone had done the IREX exam and the PIFR written exam at a similar time and I could not work out why the IREX would not do everything that the PIFR written would do and more??? Maybe he is just an examaholic - heaven forbid! If anyone can explain any advantage of doing both of these writtens I would be interested.

Cheers
David.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: IREX

D'day David. In short there is only one IREX exam conducted by ASL and it covers everything you need to know for the full CIR.

I suspect someone was talking about doing their tests for the PIFR as a CBT - see www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90088. This seems to be a flight school option.

Once you do all the PIFR flight testing you have virtually done the CIR anyway so the only real advantage in PIFR is the lesser currency requirements. CAAP 5.13.1 here explains the PIFR requirements in detail www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/down...aps/ops/5_13_ap1.pdf

I think you'll agree that by the time you have done all this you're better off just doing the full CIR. Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds