Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Greetings!

• mwilliams
  • Topic Author

mwilliams created the topic: Greetings!

Evening All,
In my study's with Bob's text books I logged on to these forums and found some very good tips and loads of useful information, and so i figured I should do a quick intro...

My name is Matt Williams, 19yo, I started flying while I was 15 with the Australian Air Force Cadets, in Camden NSW in a good ol' Cessna 152.
Similarly to a few other intros ive read, I too did my Ab-Initio training in school holidays through senior school, and achieved GFPT in May 2009.
Thanks to the High School certificate and flying availability, PPL phase training was a slow slog, however i finally started moving through it in late 2010 with cadets and luckily had an FA18 Hornet Pilot with the RAAF continuing with my Nav training (That was awesome! Although I think he liked his Hornet, over our 172!), and moved to the Gold Coast in February this year to study full time.
So, I finished off PPL and are now in the middle of CPL Theory planning to achieve CPL and MECIR as quickly as i can. (Looking forward to getting behind the panel of a DA40 as a change of pace!)

Interestingly enough, I was selected by the Air cadets last year to attend an International Youth Aviation Education Exchange program in Hong Kong, where 50 Cadet delegates from all over the world gathered where we explored Hong Kong Airport, all of the operations there (ATC, Luggage, Fireies, Catering etc) and had a ride in Government services helicopters and even went powered parachuting in China. While I was there, I whipped out the Bob Tait PPL text book, and both Staff and Students of the tour were impressed at the standard in which Bob's textbook had been created based around the CASA syllabus saying they wished they had textbooks as easy and straight forward to understand! Thought that was an interesting tid-bit for the crowd here :cheer:

Anyways I look forward to keeping involved with the forums and learning from all your experiences!

Happy Landings,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Greetings!

Matt

Thanks for your interesting post. You are obviously an enthuiastic and capable young bloke. The International Youth Aviation Education Exchange program sounds like a great experience - how about posting some photos of your trip?

You know, I often find myself trying to imagine what aviation will be like for young people like yourself in the exciting years ahead. When I look back over more than 50 years of involvment in aviation and contemplate the changes I've seen - what on earth will it be like 50 years hence? You certainly have an exciting future to look forward to!

We look forward to sharing your journey as you progress through CPL and IREX.

All the very best with your study.

Bob

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Greetings!

Hi Matt. I offer my best wishes to you and welcome you to this forum. You will find that all your questions will get detailed and meaningful answers.

And don't be afraid to ask your questions - we all do. Every question is one that everyone can learn from.

I have now completed CPL Law, Aero and Perf and also IREX and I can tell you that as you look through the forums you will see there are many questions that others have already asked and that is a great help.

As Bob says the 'sky is the limit' for young blokes like you to grab it with both hands and go for it.....

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: Greetings!

G'day Matt and well done on getting into the aviation exchange program.

Thanks for the comparison with Singapore. Probably explains why they have a whole college of them down at Jandakot in WA.

Powered parachuting in China, now that would have been a blast (and you DIDN'T get arrested?) some pics of that would be cool! I did that in Florida, and really enjoyed it, it was fun flying!

Would be interested in your thoughts of flying at a good school in the US.

Good luck and great post!

Brook

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds