Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hello Everyone :)

• Naythan91
  • Topic Author

Naythan91 created the topic: Hello Everyone :)

Hey there a bit about me

I live at home which is in Melbourne, Victoria and am currently doing my training at Tyabb Airfield. I have completed my GFPT recently and am now taking on the PPL stage of my training.

I'm 19 and first discovered the world of aviation on a year 12 information day which consisted of going to the local airports like Melbourne, Essendon and Moorabbin. Initially I thought that to become a pilot you had to have straight A marks in school and the subjects Mathematics Methods and Physics. Of course I did not undertake these subjects and convinced myself that it was impossible to pursue a career in the aviation industry as a pilot. I only found out that I could still pursue a pilot career by talking to some current students and pilots who told me all the ways of becoming pilot. After going to the Qantas training facility and having a crack at landing a 737 at Sydney on the simulator I knew that this is what I wanted to do, my dream job. Immediatley the next day I drove down and obtained the information I needed from Tyabb. So I went off and began working as many hours as I could in order to afford my weekly dual flight.

Currently I am full time at Bunnings Warehouse working to raise funds in order to fly. I'd say about 110% of my earnings go straight into it. I do find it hard having no fee help etc but I am going to get into a full or part time course with hecs next year after completing my PPL before the end of this year is. That's the plan anyway :)

Well you are the first to hear my story to date i hope it wasn't too boring :P I will keep you posted on my progress

Naythan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mickyd86

Mickyd86 replied the topic: Re: Hello Everyone :)

Hi Naythan,
Hows it going?

Good to hear your story mate!

My names Mick, and like you am now doing my flying training in Vic, out of Sale. Have my PPL and one more CPL subject to go. Just into the hour building for my CPL.

How you finding flying out of Tyabb?

Those damn dual flights do cost a fair bit hey haha! But its all worth it mate!...

If your ever over this way give us a yell :)

• Naythan91
  • Topic Author

Naythan91 replied the topic: Re: Hello Everyone :)

I'm good thanks :)

Oh that sounds awsome how long have you been flying for ? how do you afford it all ?

I really enjoy flying out of Tyabb it's a great little aerodrome but in saying that i've never been exposed to any controlled aerodromes yet but that's all PPL stuff :). Did you self study PPL or?

They sure do but I think it will deffinatley be worth it in the long run.

I take it that your flying privatley out of sale or are you in a course with RMIT or something?

Yeah definitely would be good to talk to someone whose doing what I'm doing and can give me a bit of an insight of what's to come training privatley I haven't spoken to many other student pilots at all.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Hello Everyone :)

Gday Naythan,

Good to see you've been bitten as well! Sounds like you're on the right track.

I think it's great that you are funding your own flying, gives you a huge appreciation of what it takes and what you've had to go through. Will help when you become a commercial pilot too, "Maybe I'll go this way to save .1"..

I paid for my training myself as well and after flying whenever I could for about 4.5yrs now, I have my CPL, Instructor Rating, NVFR, tailwheel, CSU & retract and aero's endorsements, so.. it can be done if you want it!

Now I'm looking for a job............

Enjoy the flying mate

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Hello Everyone :)

Hi Naythan,

Welcome aboard! It's good to see another fledgling on the forums. As you've already seen there are quite a few students hanging around here so you are definitely not on your own.

If you have any problems, simply post them on the relevant forum and someone will get back to you usually pretty quickly.

Have fun and good luck with your studies.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Hello Everyone :)

Gidday Nathyan

Thanks for taking the time to post on the forum. We welcome new posters. You are obviously very keen to start the long journey to commercial aviation. We recently had a reunion of many past students [some from over 30 years ago!] and it was wonderful to see them now as in-command of the various airline jets. They all started just like you, so who knows what the future holds.

In the mean time, it's great to have you with us.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Hello Everyone :)

Hello Naythan.

I am flying out of Bairnsdale and fly into Tyabb about once a month. I am only 3 years back into flying after a 15 year break. Started when I was your age in Gliders at the Gawler gliding club in SA then moved on to power with Rossair in SA. I now have about 350 hours with over 300 in command. Just sat and passed the IREX and Air Law thanks to Bob's great study texts. I am doing my commercial 'just to see if I can' at my age and it is great fun to be studying again.

I can certainly relate to your feelings of enthusiasm for becoming a pilot and I wish you well in your endevours. I too have flown the jet sims (B727, B737) and they are awesome.

If you are ever coming into Bairsdale let me know and we can go for a fly while you are here. We fly a Cessna Cutlass RG and a Cessna 150 - both lovely aircraft and this flight won't cost you anything - our treat.

I will let you know when my wife and I are next coming to Tyabb - probably in the next 6 weeks so we should have a coffee if you are around. I have spoken to Sandy (just before Christmas) and I may get him to do some of my CMD IR.

Look forward to hearing how you progress with your training/studies. It may seem like a long road but it is a great journey and one you will never regret.

Enjoy. Brenton (and Stella)

• Naythan91
  • Topic Author

It's great to hear about other people stories it makes me even more determined :)

Good luck with the job hunt mate :) Where have you applied so far?

• Naythan91
  • Topic Author

Hi Richard thanks alot for your help so far :) I will definitely be using this forum alot more in the future it's great. The little pamphlet dropped out my book jsut the other day i didn't even know there was a forum haha.
Thanks for your quick replies.

• Naythan91
  • Topic Author

Hello Bob
I just thought i'd say how much I enjoy your books so far i've completed the BAK and am now doing the PPL and they're fantastic good job!

That's great to hear :) good on them.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds