Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ILS - ILS/ DME approaches in VH-OZY

• Thank you received: 0

Swav created the topic: ILS - ILS/ DME approaches in VH-OZY

Hi Team,

I am going through the revision questions at the end of the book CIR Revision Questions - set four Q9 page 329.

"All aircraft navigation equipment is functioning and ground facilities are reported as serviceable. You are carrying out an approach into Perth in HV-OZY on the RWY 24 ILS or ILS/DME procedure. The landing DA and visibility for this approach is -"

I selected the answer "A - altitude of 260 feet and visibility of 800 meters"
but the correct answer is
"D - altitude 260 feet and visibility 1200 meters"

As VH-OZY does not have a flight director or coupled autopilot we cannot use the published visibility of 800 m.
Does that mean that VH-OZY cannot use ILS approaches at all even though it has 2 x GNSS units and TSO-146a?
I am a little bit confused, if you could help with the clarification that would be great.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19

Bosi72 replied the topic: ILS - ILS/ DME approaches in VH-OZY

This is information you will have to memorise.

When reading the book, I suggest reading the AIP/MOS reference next to the sentence/question/answer. And not only that reference, but read the paragraph before and after.

The process at the exam will be to initially search the information in AIP, then if not found, look in the IREX extract. I strongly suggest reading them both as they will be available to you at the exam. The key will be how fast you find the information.

With regards to this particular question, in the AIP, the information will be under "Landing Minima" , ENR 1.5-33 para 4.3.1.

Which tells you to look at Part 91 MOS, Chapter 15, Section 15.10. Thankfully you don't need to bring all MOS volumes, print the IREX extract and get familiarised with the content.

If you bring Jeppesen plates (like in the photo below), in the bottom left corner you will find the visibility conditions 0.8km, 1.2km, 1.5km related to lighting, but remember it will also be FD/HUD related.

Hope this helps
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swav

• Thank you received: 0

Swav replied the topic: ILS - ILS/ DME approaches in VH-OZY

Thank you for your help.

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds