Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Exam study advice

• Thank you received: 0

alexh created the topic: IREX Exam study advice

Hi everyone,

I am looking at self studying and sitting the irex exam within the next 6 months.

I am a RePL pilot with BVLOS, I passed all my CPL exams some 10 years ago and appreciate things have changed in that time!

I would appreciate peoples advice on:

1. How to best study for the exam

2. What materials I need and how and when is the best time to buy them (i.e. charts etc, as they have a 'expiry' date).

3. If my bob tait book is the current version?

4. Any other advice :)

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Stuart Tait replied the topic: IREX Exam study advice

G'day

I would suggest the starting place is to get a current book, we update our text's continuously, also after going through the study guide my I suggest having a look at our video series online.bobtait.com.au/course/index.php?categoryid=22

it is valid for three months and is a great resource for reviewing topics, along with our practise exams online.bobtait.com.au/course/view.php?id=24 when you feel closer to sitting the PEXO

We have an IREX extract www.bobtait.com.au/extracts that saves you from having to purchase a lot of the documents
Covering all the CAR's and CASR's

And of course we have this forum that has a wealth of information.

Cheers

alexh replied the topic: IREX Exam study advice

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your reply!

What sort of marks from the practice exam would be a good indication that you are 'ready' for the actual casa exam?

Thank you for the links in relation to the documents - trying to save money where possible.

Also, would it be a good idea to revise CPL met for the exam as well? Esp given the length of time since I have done my CPL met exam! (10 years)

Cheers

Alexander

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: IREX Exam study advice

It might sound funny, but for me it was when the pages in AIP became too thin from turning that you could see through :)

If you've read the book from cover to cover, answered and understood >every< question, know your AIP (bookmarked) and know what/where to look in the Extract, than you are good to go.

The multi choice answers at the exam will be very similar, so to confirm >exact< answer/wording you will need to look in AIP, and you have to be very fast.

Efficiency-wise, start from the high point questions, then go towards 1-pt questions.

Good luck!

ps: Doing Practice exams only and memorising the answers is not sufficient to pass the test.

Hi Bosi,

Thanks very much for your help!

Would you suggest get the AIP and the extracts down pact before moving onto focusing on the practice exams etc?

Note that I am a RePL operator, so my use for these charts (ERC etc) are very limited and I have to be careful with my money :)

Alex

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: IREX Exam study advice

No problem Alex,

Unless you are coming from the law background, reading AIP and Extract on its own, which are written in legal language, without understanding what the lawmakers are talking about, can be very difficult.

Therefore I suggest to read AIP and Extract in parallel with the Book.
So, wherever you see the AIP reference in the Book, open that page and read the rules related to the topic. Also knowing the Table of Contents in AIP helps to find the rule quicker. Unfortunately, they've removed the Index page some years ago. Note, the references from the Book might be slightly off due to frequent AIP updates (check Errata page), but make an effort to find and read not only that rule, but the whole paragraph.

If the reference in the book mention CASR, MOS, then find them in the Extract.

You are allowed to bring AIP and Extract into exam, so yes, knowing them is very important.

There is nothing worse than bringing AIP/Extract into exam, or even worse, bringing big CASR volumes into exam but not being able to find the answer.

Money and planning-wise, I suggest buying latest AIP/Ersa/Charts as soon as they are out, and give yourself 3 months to study before they expire, then book the exam. Dont worry even if they expire, your books/charts will be good for the exam for at least another 3 months, or even longer, but don't procrastinate.

www.airservicesaustralia.com/industry-in...-amendment-calendar/

Hi mate,

Thanks so much for your help.

I am not from a legal background I can assure you!

I will get the extract printed and bound/divided and get the AIP in the next week - i will read the book the first time in conjuction with them before I go down into the ERSA and chart money pit.

When did you sit the irex exam?

Really appreciate your help!

Alex

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds