Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

TSO129 Alternate requirements and Night VFR Alternate requirements

• Thank you received: 1

BushPilot8 created the topic: TSO129 Alternate requirements and Night VFR Alternate requirements

Hi all,

The AIP states if a GNSS is certified to TSO C-129, navigation to a destination alternate aerodrome must be planned using a navigation system other than a GNSS.

Is this saying that I actually need to use the ground based aid to track there? Or is it simply a precaution? Also, is the reason why an alternate is required for this particular type of GNSS simply due to it being less reliable?

In regards to Night VFR, the AIP says an alternate must be provided within 1 hours flight time of the destination if I don't have the required equipment on board to navigate there. But in Part 91 MoS (Chapter 26, para 26.07, it says an aeroplane for a vfr flight at night must be fitted with an approved GNSS or an ADF or VOR.

I'm confused as to why the alternate requirement exists for night vfr. If the equipment must be fitted, then doesn't that mean you will always have it available?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: TSO129 Alternate requirements and Night VFR Alternate requirements

The 129 GPS is considered to have insufficient integrity to be a sole means of navigation. You can use it, but you must always plan for it becoming unavailable. Note that nobody said it was less accurate - just less trust worthy.

Also there is no such thing as a Night VFR instrument approach. ALL approaches under the night VFR are, by definition, VISUAL APPROACHES.

If you have any doubt about being able to do a visual approach, you have no business planning night VFR in the first place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds