Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Alternates/Holding

• Thank you received: 0

Zanos created the topic: Alternates/Holding

I was wondering if I could get either help if my thinking is wrong, or reassurance I'm not crazy. I thought, based on an arrival time of 0630 UTC, that the arrival time would be between the highlighted periods of the FM and BECMG. I assumed that since the cloud/vis at FM060300 was above the YSYY alternate minima of 1189-4.4, no holding or alternate would be required. Now admittedly I would have got this wrong regardless as I missed checking the ERSA for holding requirements due traffic, so I just guessed.

I'm self-studying for my exam on Friday and just wanted a sanity check as I don't have any peers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

DARKMAIZE replied the topic: Alternates/Holding

I'm confused how you got this one right in your screenshot given your explaination?
I think the explaination is wrong unless anyone can correct my reasoning..
Or point out why we need an alternate and why 60 minutes holding required?

I agree with your thinking as I determined the answer was 30 minutes holding required (NO ALTERNATE).
The INTER period does not start until DAY 6 hour 23, well after the arrival time of 0630UTC (the question can't have meant day 6 hour 30 - that makes zero sense).. So, operational requirement starts at 06 22:30 - also well after 06 06:30
TEMPO would not apply until 06 08:30
BECMG 0608 does not apply until 06 07:30 (an hour after we arrive).
FM061700 in the notes does not apply until well after arrival time.

Thus, weather at 0630 will be:
FM060300 32014KT 9999 SCT040320
320 / 14 knot is no issue at YSSY for OZY.
10km+ vis. Cloud base is SCT at 4000ft.

Alternate minimum is 1189 4.4, so we're well above that.
As such, NO alternate required for weather.

ERSA says that holding time is 20 minutes daily, but times excluding 2100-0100 MON-FRI we need 30 mins if we cannot do PRM (which OZY cannot from memory, though the PRM operation manual did not help me reason why it cannot, I seem to remember it being mentioned in the text as buried in a document somewhere).
One possibilty I did consider was adding those two together (to get 50 minutes) but decided to read it as you always need 20 minutes minimum if you can do PRM, and if you can't during peak hours, you need 30 minutes holding.

So, I get 30 minutes holding required, no alternate. Where am I wrong?

• Thank you received: 239

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Alternates/Holding

I have amended that question as the Arrival time was incorrect as it was from another question.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARKMAIZE

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds