Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Text Query

• Thank you received: 0

P.Potter created the topic: Text Query

Good Morning Flyers,

Below is a question from the IREX Text Book, not on line, that i found the answer confusing. Pg 211 Question 20

Q 20.
TAF YZZZ 121930UTC 1220/1308 2101KT 6000 RA SCT010 FEW008
FM130400 9999 RA FEW015 SCT050

Given that the aerodrome whose TAF is given above has a published alternate minima at 1200 ft ceiling and visibility of 6km.
If your ETA at this aerodrome is 0410, the operational requirements which would apply for that aircraft's arrival would be-

[a] none
60 minutes holding
[c] 20 minutes holding may be carried
[d] fuel to proceed to an alternate must be carried

Answer from the Text Book.

The TAF for YZZZ is forecasting a change at 0400 from conditions which are below the alternate minima to conditions that are above
the alternate minima [i.e. from bad' to 'good']. You need not carry the alternate if you have enough fuel to hold until the OPR is lifted 30 minutes after 0400 [i.e. at 0430]. You do not have to carry the alternate you may carry 20 minutes holding instead.

I had deduced that the answer would have been [a] None, as there aren't any OPR with the main body of the TAF or the FM.
The TAF states SCT 010 (not more than 4/8's cloud below minima) and the FM gets better so i'm not sure why 20mins holding would be required.

If someone could point out what i'm missing or if indeed it is an error in the question, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil Potter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Gflightyt replied the topic: Text Query

6000 RA SCT010 FEW008

Aip ENR1.1-73 10.7.2.1 FEW plus SCT is equiv to BKN
The following user(s) said Thank You: P.Potter

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Text Query

SCT010 is 3 to 4 eighths of cloud with a base of 1000ft.
FEW008 is 1 to 2 eighths of cloud with a base of 800ft.
Since they are both below the alternate minimum of 1200ft, that constitutes more than 4 eighths of cloud below the alternate minimum. So an alternate or holding is required.

P.Potter replied the topic: Text Query

Hi Bob,

Thank you for that. I see what i missed in that question now.

Cheers.

P.Potter replied the topic: Text Query

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds