Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Instrument Rating Text Book

• Thank you received: 0

P.Potter created the topic: Instrument Rating Text Book

Hi All,
Just wanted to ask the question from the text book for Weather Alternates Revision Exercise Q 3 pg 188.

Mallacoota has just recently been re added to the ERSA from the last issue.
In the text book you say the cloud base minima is 1358 ft, yet the ERSA states 1308 ft. (must be a re survey i guess)

But my real issue is that there are two runways at Mallacoota in the Ersa and DAP. Main 18/36 and a grass one 07/25

ETA 1845 on the 31st
In the TAF example there is a -
"Mallacoota (YMCO) 27012KT 999 Few 025 SCT 035
FM 311000 18017G30KT 9999 Light Showers of rain SCt025 SCT040."

As the FM is extensively past the the start of the Validity so the 270 wouldn't apply, and the FM 180 would apply.So my interpretation of the wind would mean on the Main 18/36 runway, it would be straight down the runway, a headwind on 18.
In the answer given on the next page the answer explained for the wind was -
"The wind was only 10 degrees off Rwy 25 so that ok."
"Why would you choose a grass runway with a crosswind, even that small over a 'down the runway headwind?

I did actually get the answer correct for BOD + 10mins but going through the answering process wondered the above choice.

Thanks for your time, hopefully not a stupid question.

Cheers,
Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Instrument Rating Text Book

Hi Phil
I have amended the TAF to read the wind at 25017G25.
I have amended the question text to include 'no responsible person will be available for your arrival.
The wind will now exceed the cross wind component on RWY 18/36 and RWY 25 has only a flare path.
However if you hold until first light, you will not need an alternate.
Thanks for your feed back
Bob

• Thank you received: 0

P.Potter replied the topic: Instrument Rating Text Book

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for the reply. That makes more sense to me now. At least i am on the right track.

Cheers,
Phil

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds