Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX CIR Revision Set 2

• Thank you received: 0

Mackewings created the topic: IREX CIR Revision Set 2

Hi everyone,
Only recently started IREX and I was hoping to get some clarification on question 7 in the CIR Revision ‘Set 2’ I found on my first read over the book.
The question reads as follows.

Flying in IMC from Taree to Tamworth in VH-OZY, you commence the DME/GNSS arrival. You have NOT maintained recency on RNAV (GNSS) approaches. Passing 7 DME you notice that the VOR has failed. You should-
A.) Continue the procedure using approved GNSS tracking aid
B.) Climb back to the MSA and fly the Tamworth NDB approach
C.) Continue with the DME/GNSS arrival tracking on the Tamworth NDB
D.) Maintain 3200ft until your ETA at Taree
C.) Climb on track to 5600ft

The answer is listed as option C, explained on page 344 as, “The DME/GNSS arrival procedure allows you to track on either the VOR or NDB. If the VOR fails, you may continue the approach tracking on the NDB”.
I vaguely understand how that makes sense, however the question states that you haven’t maintained recency on the RNAV (GNSS) approach.
Are DME/GNSS, NDB, and RNAV (GNSS) approaches all seperate? Moreover, how can you conduct any GNSS approach if it states you are not recent with the GNSS approach?
Thanks heaps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

BushPilot8 replied the topic: IREX CIR Revision Set 2

I believe the mention of not being recent on the rnav is just there to try and trip you up.

Rnav approaches allow you to use the gps for both tracking and distance information, whereas the dga simply uses the gps for distance information only, with a ground based aid being needed for the tracking portion.

Since you initially used the vor for tracking information and it failed, you can switch over to the adf and continue the approach.

To clarify the last bit of your question:
Rnav approaches are different to dme/gnss arrivals. A dga can have the option of either a particular aid for tracking info or, in this case both aids (the ndb and vor).

While you aren’t recent with rnav approaches, you are still able to conduct the dga providing the pilot has, in this case, conducted 1 approach consisting of a course deviation indicator within the previous 90 days, and, since they needed to use the adf due to the failure of the vor, they would have also needed to conduct 1 azimuth approach within the previous 90 days.

• Thank you received: 0

Mackewings replied the topic: IREX CIR Revision Set 2

Yeah that makes more sense now, thanks for your help!

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds