Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Revision 5, Question 34

• Thank you received: 0

Jase88 created the topic: Revision 5, Question 34

Hi Bob and Co,

I thought the answer to this one would be 5nm?

If you're within 5nm of the aerodrome, aligned with the runway centreline and established not below "on slope" on the T-VASIS or PAPI
AIP 1.5, 1.14.6 B

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roy

Roy replied the topic: Revision 5, Question 34

Same I’m thinking this too

• Roy

Roy replied the topic: Revision 5, Question 34

I think it’s 5nm is you’re only on VASIS/PAPI
7nm VASIS/PAPI and the runway has an ILS installed
10nm if you’re established on ILS….

But the question says you’re on LOC only so I assumed the answer would be 7nm

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Revision 5, Question 34

I assume you are talking about a runway aligned visual approach at night. If you are visual at night and you can see the VASI/PAPI lights you can fly the rest of the approach by reference to the VASI/PAPI lights once you are withing 5nm if there is no ILS at that aerodrome.

However, if the VASI or PAPI lights are part of an ILS installation, you can continue the approach by reference to the VASI or PAPI lights once you are within 7nm.

If you fly the remainder of the approach by reference to the full ILS installation (LOC and GS) then you can continue by reference to the ILS indicators once you are withing 10nm.

If you have no VASI or PAPI or ILS to guide you, you must not descend below LSALT or MSA until you are established within the circling area. (2.66nm for Cat A and B).

Note that at 10nm out, you would probably have difficulty seeing the VASI/PAPI clearly, but you could still fly the remainder of the approach by reference to the ILS indicators. After all, you can do that even if you are in IMC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds