Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

NDB navigation

• woolcn
  • Topic Author

woolcn created the topic: NDB navigation

I have posted this question in a different forum with no response. Hopefully this is the go-to area!
In the practice IREX exams, exam No.1 q.30 is confusing. It is using the NDB at Normanton as part of a position fix but the distance from Normanton is 184 miles with an NDB range of 120 miles. Is that valid - am I missing something?
Thanks,
Chris W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: NDB navigation

You are correct. You cannot claim a fix unless you are within the rated coverage of the aid, and if both aids are NDBs, you must be with in 30nm of each to claim a fix. However, if the question says "what indications would you expect of you were at ............." Then you may not be claiming a fix. Remember that nobody says you are not allowed to use the NDB outside the rated coverage, you simply cannot claim that you have a fix.

Having said that, I'll have a look at the question and see if the wording can be changed to make it clearer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woolcn

• woolcn
  • Topic Author

woolcn replied the topic: NDB navigation

Thanks for your response. I agree that it is important to read the question carefully. Given that, from a practical point-of-view, would the aircraft actually be able the signal 60 miles beyond its rated coverage?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: NDB navigation

Very unlikely I agree.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds