Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IFR CTA QUESTION

• Rjabreu91
  • Topic Author

Rjabreu91 created the topic: IFR CTA QUESTION

Hi all,

Whilst in controlled airspace, is their any requirement relating to the horizontal or vertical distance from the steps to ensure you remain within controlled airspace whilst climbing or descending ?

I would imagine if you are within the boundary you are ok. But for some reason I have stuck in my head that you must maintain 500ft above the underlying lower limit to ensure the protection.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I have can’t seem to sight where I got this rule from.

Many thanks,

Raymond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IFR CTA QUESTION

Your hunch is correct. AIP ENR 1.1 para 2.2.12 says that if you are in CTA, you should remain 500ft above the lower limit if CTA to provide an adequate vertical buffer with aircraft that may be operating in adjoining Class G airspace. See also AIP ENR 1.1 para 2.5.3.2.

This allows aircraft that are below the CTA steps to fly at the lower limit and still be considered OCTA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds