Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

A quick question

• 105Ron
  • Topic Author

105Ron created the topic: A quick question

Hi guys,
Just a quick question. I've recently got your IREX study guide and I'm on question 27 of page 3.57. Basically about holding fuel and there is an INTER there - 30 minutes holding fuel (Circle answer move on). BUT your answer says 50 minutes holding required due to Sydney requiring 20 minutes traffic holding (Answer says See ERSA FAC S - 302 Traffic Holding Fuel Advisory). This is where I am searching...

www.airservicesaustralia.com/publication...YSSY_18-Nov-2010.pdf

I cannot see it. Am i looking in the wrong spot, or has this requirement been removed or moved in the newer versions of ERSA? I've only got a PPL(A) so i'm not overly familiar with flying into class C airports, but i know CASA likes to catch people out with these little tricks. Thanks for your help, Ron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: A quick question

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forums!

The answer of 50 minutes is correct but the ERSA reference is not valid. It should point you to something like "ERSA FAC S - SYDNEY/(Kingsford Smith)"

If you take a look at the ERSA reference you gave in your post, you will see the need for the 20 minutes holding in the Remarks section: "Anticipated Airborne Traffic Delays for Arr ACFT:...."

Since we are arriving at 2230 UTC, we fall into the period specifying a 20 minute traffic holding. That combined with the INTER gives you the 50 minutes total. So you will need EITHER:
- an alternate since the forecast INTER visibility is less than the alternate minima of 4.4km ***.
- OR carry 50 minutes holding fuel to allow for the INTERvals of poor weather and the expected traffic delays.

I hope that helps,

Cheers,

Rich

*** The special alternate requirements of 700m ceiling and 2.5km vis for Sydney approaches (see the Approach charts for YSSY) do not apply since you only have one ILS (see AIP ENR 1.5 Section 6 "Alternate Weather Minima" - 6.2 "Special Alternate Weather Minima").

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: A quick question

Ron

Thanks for the feedback. Richard has answered you question completely however I note that I will need to change the reference in the question. There has been a recent change to the wording in the reference. It used to be called 'Traffic Holding Advisory' but it is now found under 'Remarks' on Page FAC S-1.

We rely on people like you to help us keep up with the constant changes coming out of Canberra. Thanks for your assistance.

Good luck with your study and please keep in touch.

Bob

• 105Ron
  • Topic Author

105Ron replied the topic: Re: A quick question

Thanks Richard and Bob. With the amount of amendments there has been to the AIP since I've had it I'm surprised how good the references to it in the IREX book are. I just couldn't find that one and i like to highlight these little traps so i can avoid making the same mistake. Thanks again, Ron.

• 105Ron
  • Topic Author

105Ron replied the topic: Re: A quick question

Bob,
I passed the IREX today B) . Thanks for all the effort you put into the study material. The exam went pretty well along the lines of the cyber exams but i thought the actual questions were harder (maybe the pressure was getting to me). Not to worry though, I'm stoked! Thanks again, Ron.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds