Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Exam Prep Question - CDI and ADF with TE

• Brauny
  • Topic Author

Brauny created the topic: Exam Prep Question - CDI and ADF with TE

Can someone explain in a bit more simple terms the answer for this question (image attachment)?

I can't follow how the track error is 4 degrees when the outbound track is 005 and the OBS is set to 006, plus a 2 dot indication left, to me that is 5 degrees being that your FPT = 005, you're 4 degrees right of the 006 radial (TMG = 010, FPT = 005, TE = 5 degrees right).

If like in the answer you set 005 on your OBS, then the CDI would be at 2.5 dots to the left.

I think that in the question there might be a mix up with the answer?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Exam Prep Question - CDI and ADF with TE

It looks like there's a typo in the stem of that question (The explained answer is correct though). It should read "Your VOR [tuned to Parkes] has 005 set on the OBS". Thanks for pointing that out. The question will be amended accordingly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brauny

• Ash3005

Ash3005 replied the topic: Exam Prep Question - CDI and ADF with TE

On above question, are we 4 degrees right of the FPT or 6 degrees?

My calculation is:

2 dots to the left is 6 degrees considering the first dot is 4 degrees (2 degrees is the edge of the centre circle)
So when VOR set to 005, we are 6 degrees to the right of the FPT, which makes our closing angle to Dubbo is also 6 degrees.
Based on that we are on 179 radial of Dubbo, with heading of 010 (adf is 11 degrees to the left)
So my answer is 349R

Am I missing something?

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Exam Prep Question - CDI and ADF with TE

In the jargon of the average pilot the edge of the centre circle is usually counted as the first 'dot' and it represents 2°. So two dots left would normally be taken as the first dot after the circle i.e. 4°. The examiner is aware of this as a possible source of confusion and he has indicated to me that he will use the phase "one dot left of the centre circle" to remove any doubt.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds