Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Recency on 2D approach

• adrianchiasm
  • Topic Author

adrianchiasm created the topic: Recency on 2D approach

Hi Bob! Good day!

For common question missed by students in the IREX as mentioned by you on page 269 like: You are not current or recent on the RNAV/GNSS approaches, what is the lowest level you can descend in IMC.
- Currency: To maintain current it within a year
- Recency: 3 approaches in 90 days

I refer to your CIR revision questions set 9 question 5. You are not recent for the RNAV (GNSS) approach to conduct at Longreach.
- How does that allow you to conduct a GNSS arrival sector? (Longreach only has a GNSS arrival DAP approach plate and not DME or GNSS arrival approach plate)
- You are not using the DME but a GNSS. Shouldn't you use the NDB approach plate (or VOR if there is). If I am using a DME or GNSS arrival approach chart tie up with a NDB or VOR nav aid, to me that make sense, because if I am not recent for the RNAV (GNSS), I cannot use the GNSS but DME instead linked with my NDB or VOR nav aid.

"Below LSALT, you may use an approved GPS for an RNAV (GNSS) 2D approach or a GPS arrival procedure provided you have passed a flight test & your log book has been endorsed for these procedures & you meet the recent experience requirements."
- You must pass a flight proficiency test & have an endorsement for the 2D approaches on your pilot licenses

So if I am not recent on the RNAV (GNSS) approach, how does that entitles me to use the GNSS arrival approach chart (Not the DME or GNSS arrival approach chart) over the NDB (or VOR) approach plate?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Recency on 2D approach

There is a big difference between an RNAV(GNSS) approach and a DME/GNSS Arrival procedure. In the case of an RNAV/GNSS approach, the ONLY aid being used is the GPS. That's for both tracking and distance information. You must be endorsed and current to fly that procedure.

In the case of a DME/GNSS Arrival you are using the GPS for distance ONLY and not for track guidance. You must maintain the track by reference to a ground-based aid. Since the GPS is being used simply as a substitute for DME, there is no requirement to be recent on RNAV/GNSS Approaches, they are an entirely separate procedure. You can use the GNSS or DME for distance information at any stage during flight without the need for a particular endorsement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adrianchiasm, Jase88, Star Alliance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds