Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Book Questions

• Brauny
  • Topic Author

Brauny created the topic: IREX Book Questions

Hi,

In the IREX book, the Part 6 CIR revision questions set 2, question 7:
Flying in IMC from Taree to Tamworth in VH-OZY. You commence the DME/GNSS arrival. You have not maintained recency on RNAV approaches. Passing 3200ft you notice that the VOR has failed. You should:
a) continue the procedure using your approved GPS tracking aid
b) climb to 4300ft
c) continue with the DME/GNSS arrival so long as RAIM is available
d) maintain 3200ft until your ETA at Taree
e) Climb on track to 5600ft

The answer in the back is c) which I'm very unsure about.

The errata contains this paragraph:

Part 6 Revision Questions Set 2 Question No 7. The question text has been amended to say that you are flying VH-OZY. You can continue with the arrival procedure with the VOR failed if you track on the NDB. The DAP says that the procedure may be carried out using either the VOR or NDB.

Should this question be rewritten again because none of the answers were applicable? I personally chose e) because none of the listed answers outside of e) made much sense.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Book Questions

I'm not sure just what your problem is Brauny. When you fly an DME/GNSS Arrival Procedure you must use the GPS for distance information only while maintaining track on a ground based aid such as NDB or VOR. The arrival procedure you are referring to says the you can track on either the NDB or VOR.

You do not have to be current on RNAV/GNSS approaches to use a GPS for distance information only during an DME/GNSS arrival procedure. So, if you were flying this arrival procedure and your VOR failed, you could carry on flying the procedure using the NDB for tracking and the GPS for distance information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brauny

• Brauny
  • Topic Author

Brauny replied the topic: IREX Book Questions

Thanks Bob,

So you don't have to remain recent (using GNSS) for a DME/GNSS arrival, but you do have to remain recent for an RNAV/GNSS approach?

Maybe what I am getting hung up on is that DME/GNSS arrivals are separate to RNAV approaches in regards to recency?

Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds