Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Course deviation indicator guidance procedure - help!

• Toddyfooty
  • Topic Author

Toddyfooty created the topic: Course deviation indicator guidance procedure - help!

Hi guys,

Just a quick query on question 10 in exercise 2.2 (pg 123)

Question asks: A course deviation indicator guidance procedure is an instrument procedure during which the pilot receives navigational information:
A) as printed text on a cockpit monitor
B) from a visual display giving command indications to fly left or right and/or up or down
C) as audio information through a headset along with visual display
D) as a pointer on a scale of magnetic direction or relative bearings to or from a ground based reference

The definition of a a course deviation indicator in CASR 61.010 is:
Course deviation indicator operation means an instrument approach operation using a course deviation indicator for lateral navigation guidance.

Even though the CASR states that it is for "lateral navigation" i.e left\right, the correct answer in the book is B which includes up\down.
I would therefore have thought that D would be most correct seeing as the in flight instrument has a "scale of magnetic direction or relative bearing" indicator.

BUT i can see that the question asks about a course deviation guidance procedure and not a course deviation indicator

Am I missing something? I know its a tiny thing but every mark counts right?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Course deviation indicator guidance procedure - help!

Maybe you're over-reading the question. If an instrument gives command indications for lateral guidance and also for vertical guidance such as an ILS or RNAV/GNSS 3D approach, the approach would still be considered as being flown with CDI guidance.

If you flew the approach with the instrument described in choice (d), it would be flown under azimuth guidance, not CDI guidance.

• Toddyfooty
  • Topic Author

Toddyfooty replied the topic: Course deviation indicator guidance procedure - help!

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification Bob

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds