Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

MDA with AWIS phone number only

• Guin83
  • Topic Author

Guin83 created the topic: MDA with AWIS phone number only

Hi there
If you are doing an approach at an aerodrome with a shaded circling MDA, and the aerodrome has no AWIS frequency but there is an AWIS phone number indicated in the Notes section, do you then consider this aerodrome with actual QNH available and take 100ft off the MDA or do you consider the actual QNH not available?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dav

dav replied the topic: MDA with AWIS phone number only

The AWIS via mobile phone is not considered an approved source, so the QNH is considered not available.
AIP ENR 1.5 Par 5.3.2

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: MDA with AWIS phone number only

The AWIS via mobile phone is not considered an approved source, so the QNH is considered not available.
AIP ENR 1.5 Par 5.3.2

I see no mention of a mobile phone here! I would assume that the AWIS QNH via phone is a "valid source" for the 15 min period from the time of receipt (issue)

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: MDA with AWIS phone number only

I haven't been able to find a specific reference to a mobile phone being used to obtain an ATIS. However, when you consider that the alternate minima box is often shaded, that implies you could base your decision regarding alternate fuel on the assumption that your mobile phone will be capable of providing service upon your arrival. So, if your mobile phone's battery was flat, or there was no service available (CASA have no control over TELSTRA etc), you could end up being unable to legally land without enough fuel to proceed to an alternate.

Just a thought..

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: MDA with AWIS phone number only

Another case of the regulators catching up with not-so-new technology!

The question of alternate minima did cross my mind, but within the scope of the original question one would think that the AWIS QNH over the phone would be "valid" if the message timestamp was valid. No phone, no message and therefore no "actual QNH".

Logic would dictate that the AWIS QNH over the phone would not available for planning purposes (mobile towers outside of CASA control etc...) but possibly be available for arrival at the destination.

Thinking out aloud

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds