Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX - Alternate with NDB Unserviceable

• DR
  • Topic Author

DR created the topic: IREX - Alternate with NDB Unserviceable

See question in attachment. NDB in Innisfail is notamed unserviceable. Do you need an alternate.

1. The AIP says "served by a radio navigation aid".
It's unserviceable, but that aerodrome is still one which is served by a radio navigation aid. Or is it not served by a radio navigation aid today?

2. Assuming it has a serviceable NDB and GNSS approach and let's say you're not current on anything but ILS, how could you say that because you're not current, that aerodrome is not served by an approach???

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX - Alternate with NDB Unserviceable

I understand your argument. This has always been a topic for debate and I reckon the AIP could do with a revision of the text here. Firstly I think most people would agree that an aerodrome cannot be served by an unserviceable navigation aid.

Also, it seems reasonable to assume that, if you are not current on a particular approach, you could not logically base your decision regarding alternate fuel on carrying out an approach procedure that could not be legally conducted in IMC. I agree the aerodrome could still be described as 'being served by a navigation aid', but that aid would not be available to you.

When I put on my lawyer's hat I do see your point, but it's the wording in the AIP that is at fault.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds