Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

RVR

• linc90
  • Topic Author

linc90 created the topic: RVR

Hi Bob Rich,

Q1 I had a question on the practice exams (in the attached ) I see where the visibility is was taken from. I looked at the front of the DAP and its says RVR is (Required visibility (M) when RVR measuring capability AVBL) is this only when QNH is available or is this also something else extra I don't know about?

Q2 if you got a question where you were going to an aerodrome without IAP an were planning whether or not to have an alternate, would you need take the last route segment cloud height from the TAF or area forecast. I have attached an example.

Would be good if you could clear things up for me!

cheers
Linc
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: RVR

Hi Linc
Question 1. I don't know where you got RVR is "Required Visibility" from. RVR is Runway Visual Range and it applies only to the pilots of airline type aircraft. It is the visibility down the runway from the pilot's eye-level of a landing airline type aircraft. You will find it described in the following AIP references.
AIP EEN 2.2 Page 24
AIP GEN 3.5 para 12.9

Question 2. You would take the cloud base from the ARFOR because an aerodrome with no instrument approach procedure would not be likely to have a TAF service provided anyway.

Bob

• linc90
  • Topic Author

linc90 replied the topic: RVR

Thanks Bob
Question 1 I got that explanation from the front of the DAPS, just to clarify in the DAPs if I have the option in VH-OZY can I use the RVR visibility if I have QNH set?
Question 2 If I get a question with a TAF available for some reason would you take it from the TAF not ARFOR ?

Linc

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: RVR

If an aerodrome has an RVR facility it most certainly has a control tower. So you wouldn't be using a forecast QNH for either a TAF or an ARFOR, you would be given the actual QNH from the tower with your approach clearance.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds