Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

PIFR Pass

• leigh@lgpelectrical.com.au
  • Topic Author

leigh@lgpelectrical.com.au created the topic: PIFR Pass

Hi Bob & Co. I successfully passed the PIFR theory today & just wanted to drop you a quick note to say thanks for your books and online forums, these were paramount to my pass. I self studied and found the majority of what I need to know in your IREX book.

Some pointers for anyone embarking on the PIFR as there is very little information as to what to study or specific texts or practice exams available out there so I hope this helps-

1. Have a good read of the CASA guidelines for the syllabus of what they will examine you on. I am glad I did this as there is significant content on human factors in the PIFR that I believe is not part of IREX. I studied the Bob Tait CPL Human Factors book as well as www.atsb.gov.au/media/29971/b20070063.pdf which got me through the test.

2. I know it's said a lot on these forums, read the questions very clearly. Some of the questions that had exact wording from regulatory documents were actually the wrong answer, it merely had something to change the tense or one distinct (but not obvious) word to make it incorrect, some of the correct answers were the plain English answers that implied the right answer but not a direct extract from the regulations documents and almost seemed like they couldn't be the right answer! (Sounds ambiguous, because it is!)

3. Whilst the IREX study book will no doubt be a bible for adding FPA's, when it comes to the study for PIFR Theory, do not devote any time to approaches just yet. I spent a fair bit of time on approaches early on only to work out for the actual theory exam it wasn't required. This information will be incredibly useful for my FPA's down the track though.

4. Know your AIP and tag and highlight it well!

5. NDB's- whilst on the way out it, is still imperative you know and understand them well.

6. Take all of the recommended Air Services Publications into the exams, even if it is just the parts specifically for PIFR bits downloaded and printed, guaranteed a few marks by knowing these texts well and having them with you.

Again thanks Bob & Co. I hope this information may assist others studying PIFR.

Cheers Leigh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stuart

stuart replied the topic: PIFR Pass

Congrats Leigh
Thanks for the feedback

Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds