Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Navaid requirements for alternates

• srodneyrahul
  • Topic Author

srodneyrahul created the topic: Navaid requirements for alternates

Hey guys can anyone answer this question. My aircraft is equipped with 2 VHF 1HF 1 ADF 1 VOR AND 1 DME
My destination is Albany which has:
DME GPS ARRIVAL
NDB
AND a Rnav approach.
Do i need an alternate due to nav aids[/b] since aip enr 1.1Para 8.8.3.1A(2) states that the destination should be served by 2 Navigation aids for which independent and separate instrument approaches are available
*does a gps/dme arrival count as a separate instrument approach procedure since we are going to track via the adf/ndb (no alternate required)
* or it doesnt since its primary tracking aid is the adf (alternate required)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Navaid requirements for alternates

According to AIP GEN 1.5 para 2.1, that aircraft couldn't even take off on an IFR flight in the first place. An IFR aircraft must have at least one RNAV/GNSS receiver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: srodneyrahul

• srodneyrahul
  • Topic Author

srodneyrahul replied the topic: Navaid requirements for alternates

in that case what if i had one GNSS RECEIVER (TSO C146A) and if albany never had an RNAV approach
do i still need an alternate or not?
my confusion here is can we class a gps/dme and a ndb approach as independent since the adf is used for primary tracking information.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Navaid requirements for alternates

That would depend on the type of operation. PVT or AWK you could get away with one aid (NDB). For CHTR or RPT, you would need two ADFs since both the NDB approach and the RNAV/GNSS arrival are based on a single ground-based aid and you can use the RNAV for distance information only but not for tracking during an RNAV/GNSS arrival. If the RNAV/GNSS arrival had been based on a VOR it would count as a second approach being available.

I like to think of it this way.
"For CHTR and RPT, you must be able to survive the failure of one airborne aid and still have another approach available".
The following user(s) said Thank You: srodneyrahul

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds