Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Questions

• declanbailey
  • Topic Author

declanbailey created the topic: IREX Questions

Hey guys,
sat my IREX exam yesterday and got 83%, which I must admit I am quite pleased with myself about considering I failed the first two attempts :) There were a couple of questions I got that I wasn't too sure about:
1. What does it mean when ATC informs you to 'Squawk Charlie'? I got it right by selecting "active pressure altitude function on your transponder" but it was just a guess. In 15 or so years of flying I have never been told to "Squawk Charlie" and I couldn't find any reference to it in the AIPs or ERSA.
2. An IFR pilot is operating in Class G airspace and is given a traffic alert by ATS and decides to change level. What are the requirements, if any, of notifying ATS of this change?
A) ATS has to be notified of any level changes.
B) ATS only has to be notified if the new level can't conform to IFR cruising levels - The answer I selected which was wrong.
C) ATS doesn't need any notification.
D) ATS doesn't need notification but the conflicting traffic does (don't quote me on this option but it was something along those lines.

I also suggest brushing up on your icing condition knowledge. I didn't really pay too much attention to this area and got the question wrong. I'm a rotary wing pilot who has never flown high enough to worry about it and I don't have a couple of big ice catchers sticking out the side of my aircraft.

Additionally familiarise yourself on where you find the information relating to times for a VOLMET report. I couldn't for the life of me find it yesterday and by the time I got to it I had 'paper overload' and not much time left on the clock. The question itself related to Hobart.

Know your LSALT requirements. The heights themselves are not an issue at its a straight forward topic in the AIP but I refer to the distances and radiuses of locations with or without aids.

Some tips I can pass on is that I wrote down all the formulas for the different areas before I even answered the first question. The HAT trick, 1 in 60, 6.39 x r for position reports etc. It's a long exam with a lot of information and its easy for your head to get quite 'muddled' even to the point you forget basic knowledge that seemed straight forward prior to the exam.
I also memorised the lighting diagram (alternate requirements) depicted in the Bob Tait book and drew that on the scratch pad as well. The flow diagram is an excellent depiction of the alternate requirements and it was asked in the exam. I also jotted down helpful hints like DON"T FORGET TO ADD 30MINS to your fuel requirement when the alternate location is serviced by PAL. This exact requirement was asked in the exam.
Write down the A, C, V, W, P, L, S for every alternate question and don't stop running through the letters at the first requirement you see. One of the forecasts I had contained a TEMPO during the arrival time but the main body of the TAF was also below forecast requirements so don't fall for little traps like those that they lay out for you.

The thing that I can't stress enough out of all it is READ THE QUESTION. To be more specific READ EVERY WORD of the question. Even the small words like 'and/or' can make very big differences to the outcome of the question.

Bob Tait's book is also an invaluable tool towards passing the exam. The content in the book covered everything that I got asked yesterday. Just brush up on your icing knowledge.
I'm far from a genius so just remember that if I can pass it anyone can, regardless of how daunting it is at the time :)

All the best

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Questions

Congratulations. That's a great mark for home study.
Check AIP GEN 1.5 para 6.1.2 Note 1
and
AIP GEN 3.3 para 7.6.3

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds