Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Incorrect questions in Practice exam??

• mayanksingh78@gmail.com
  • Topic Author

mayanksingh78@gmail.com created the topic: Incorrect questions in Practice exam??

Hi Bob/ Richard,

Just came across these following two questions in IREX practice exams that I dont think are valid anymore:

1. You depart Andamooka (Elevation 250ft) for Oodnadatta in VH-OZY. The Andamooka NDB has been decommissioned but your intention is still to return to Andamooka should an engine fail in IMC after departure. You plan to track to Oodnadatta via W764.

You are not current on RNAV[GNSS] approaches.

To allow you to depart under these circumstances, there must be no more than four eighths cloud below an altitude of?

Checked everywhere but could not find " Andamooka" ?? not sure if this airfield has been decommissioned?? please update if it has.

2. Refer to ERC 7.

You are planning an IFR flight in VH-OZY from Alice Springs to Mount Isa via W385. The necessary position reports for this route are -

Again, checked this in the relevant ERC and TAC but could not locate this route. Has this been decommissioned as well? Please update if it has been removed.

many thanks

Regards
Mayank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Incorrect questions in Practice exam??

Yep, Andamooka and W764 have gone from the new charts. Thanks for your feedback, I have made the necessary changes. Andamooka to Oodnadatta has been replaced by Caiguna to Forrest and W385 has been replaced by J64.

• Topic Author

mayanksingh78@gmail.com replied the topic: Incorrect questions in Practice exam??

Thanks Bob,
Could you also please have a look at this for me if you have a moment?

www.bobtait.com.au/forum/instrument-rati...actice-test-question

posted this a couple of days ago.
regards

All of those topics have been changed in the book, but it looks like that one was missed in the on-line practice exams. The answers given referred to the rules that applied previously. I have changed the question. PVT and AWK operations now need a GPS certified to C129 TSO standards PLUS one ground based aid (either ADF or VOR). However, if the GPS meets C145 or C146 TSO standards, you do not need any other aid. It no longer matters what class of airspace you are in. Once again, thanks for your feed-back. As you may have guessed, these constant changes are driving is nuts!

• Topic Author

mayanksingh78@gmail.com replied the topic: Incorrect questions in Practice exam??

Thanks so much for your quick response and clarifications!

I had just one more question that popped up in the practice test regarding recency requirements for IFR charter carrying passengers for last route segment under NVFR.
As per CAO 40.2.1 para 14.1, it says NVFR charter recency is met if PIC has done 3 take offs and landing within last 90 days and night cross country flight (of at least 100 nm or 1 hr duration) within last 6 months.

But the answer to the test question suggested that you need only 3 take offs and landings within the last 90 days for this flight. as per the CASR requirement to carry PAX.

Can you please clarify?? if that is the case then what are the recency requirements mentioned in CAO 40.2.1 used for??

Many thanks
Regards

The CAO 40.2.1 is referring to NGT VFR operations (assuming the pilot has no instrument rating). However, CASR 61.855 says that if you hold an instrument rating, you may fly IFR or NGT VFR. If you intend to carry passengers, you still need three take-offs and landings in the last 90 days, but that applies even if you were only doing night circuits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mayanksingh78@gmail.com

• Topic Author

Great!
Thanks for clearing up that for me Bob! much appreciated!

• Topic Author

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to drop you a note of thanks for all the good work that you and your team has been putting in! Specially with these Epic and constant changes that CASA is always throwing in!

I used your book, Forum and practice tests for self study and managed to pass my IREX first attempt with 98%! The only question I got wrong was the one that I changed my selected answer, during my last check run, in the exam! I overthought..should have stuck with my first selected answer...just missed another nil KDR!

Your practice exams were very helpful but I must say that the real exam had some really twisted questions in terms of how they were worded, so the tips of "read the questions very carefully" that I got from the forum were very helpful indeed.

Onto ATPL's now.. its a shame that you guys dont do ATPL books! It would have been really great to carry on with you. Any recommendations for ATPL theory??

Once again, thanks for all your good work and help till now.

Warm Regards
Mayank

WOW! That's a fantastic pass for home study IREX. What a bummer that you couldn't have hit the magic number. Never mind, you can certainly be proud of that effort. As for ATPL theory, just check out the various options and choose the one you feel suits best.

All the best with your future study - I'm sure you'll do well.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds