Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Clarification on Page 146 IREX Book - Night IFR

• Anton
  • Topic Author

Anton created the topic: Clarification on Page 146 IREX Book - Night IFR

Hi Bob/Rich

I want to clarify the comment on page 146, being (Night ops with no Instrument approach require an alternate no matter what the forecast says).

Does this mean for a Private Instrument Rating (PFIR), where you have no FPA for Approaches, you will always need an alternate at night, no matter what.

Thanks

Anton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Clarification on Page 146 IREX Book - Night IFR

Hi Anton,

AIP ENR 1.1 59.3.2 clearly states that the option to operate under the IFR to an aerodrome without an approach is possible without an alternate "by day". This infers IFR flight at night must have an alternate if the destination does not have an approach.

As to the PIFR without FPA for approaches, my interpretation is indeed you would be stuck carrying an alternate for every night flight. It would be like planning to an aerodrome by day where the weather is so bad you would need an approach to get in. As the non-FPA PIFR holder, you would need to plan an alternate without an approach in that case too.

You may be better off getting a NVFR rating and planning as a NVFR flight!. Better still, get RNAV/GNSS approaches tacked onto your PIFR :)

Cheers,

Rich

• Anton
  • Topic Author

Anton replied the topic: Clarification on Page 146 IREX Book - Night IFR

Hi Rich and thanks

I agree with your summary. I am getting the 2 FPA's you suggest. My reason for asking was purely in relation to possible exam questions which assume you do not have these FPA's. Anyway all good now that I have passed.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Anton

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds